Toshiba DST-3000 and TW65H80

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Dunn, Mar 5, 2001.

1. John Dunn

John Dunn Auditioning

The TW65H80 is now about 3 years old and I'm considering Toshiba's DST-3000. Does anyone know of any pitfalls?

2. Roger Clark

Roger Clark Stunt Coordinator

John, I have the same TV and had the DST3000 for about a week. It works as advertised, but I didn't like it for two reasons.
    1) My wife and I are used to the Sony Sat box menu system. The DST3000 overlays the whole screen with a translucent menu much like a cable guide. This works and it integrates the off the air stuff right in, but we prefer Sony's method of spliting the screen, guide on the bottom (off the air also integrated in) and the top half split with picture on the left and synopsis on the right.
    2) The only component out option on the DST3000 is 1080i to get high def, so the box converts everything to 1080i (passing actual 1080i un-altered). This effectively disables the TW65H80's internal aspect ratio control and you have to rely on the DST3000's internal stretch mode for 4:3 material. I didn't like the stretch nearly as much as the TV's internal TW1 stretch mode, so found myself switching the DST3000 to 480i output and the TV to S-Video for 4:3 and switching the DST3000 to 1080i and the TV to component (input 5) for high def. Just too much trouble.
    The Sony has a variable mode that passes 480i and 1080i un-altered and upconverts 480p and 720p to 1080i, so I just leave the TV in the input 5 (HD colorstream) mode and everything looks great since the TV stretches the 4:3 480i material and the 1080i is already widescreen so also looks fine.
    We are both much happier with this box.
    Roger

3. RudolphT

RudolphT Agent

John,
    All choices are personal, and I'm glad we have choices. I stuck with the DST-3000 for a variety of reasons. Unlike the Sony you can set the translucency, you can trigger the partial screen listings through the channel forward and back buttons, and you cannot beat the DST Advanced Program Guide which gives guide info for all channels, including Digital OTA and Analog OTA. Also I like the remote that natively controls my STB, TV, DVD and the basic functions on my Denon 5800. (It is really a good second remote as I use a pronto primarily). Understand the Sony does not control cable boxes, but that doesn't matter to me.
    The DST is also decidely better at upconverting NTSC & non-HD content to 1080i than say the DTC-100, so I don't have the switching issues. I am also, I guess one would say an aspect ratio snob. I like to see the full content, even if it means bars on top or bottom depending on source with the correct geometry. The "burn in" issue is really a red herring if you have content going to screen.
    VERY happy with the DST3000, but most choices are personal.
    Tim

4. Philip

Philip Extra

Roger...or anyone else who has a Tosh H or x81 series widescreen hooked up to an HD box....I also ONLY watch all cable broadcasts in TW 1 mode and would NOT want the HD box by Tosh (DST-3000) to eliminate my use of this mode. TW 2 and TW 3 just do not look as good.
    One of the main reasons that I would stick with the Tosh HD box is becaue I would think that Tosh would make certain that ALL of their aspect ratios would be useable with their own HD box. I
    nstead, if Roger is correct, the Sony HD box does a better job with the Tosh widescreen sets in regard to giving us the ability to select ALL of the aspect ratio modes available on the TV set, when using the Sony HD box.
    Any thoughts on this issue. Phil

5. Roger Clark

Quote:
    ================================================== =======
    Roger...or anyone else who has a Tosh H or x81 series widescreen hooked up to an HD box....I also ONLY watch all cable broadcasts in TW 1 mode and would NOT want the HD box by Tosh (DST-3000) to eliminate my use of this mode. TW 2 and TW 3 just do not look as good.
    One of the main reasons that I would stick with the Tosh HD box is becaue I would think that Tosh would make certain that ALL of their aspect ratios would be useable with their own HD box. I
    nstead, if Roger is correct, the Sony HD box does a better job with the Tosh widescreen sets in regard to giving us the ability to select ALL of the aspect ratio modes available on the TV set, when using the Sony HD box.
    Any thoughts on this issue. Phil
    ================================================== =======
    Phil, Yes, I think the Sony is better for that reason. You can use the component outputs and choose "variable mode" on the Sony, this will pass 1080i native, upconvert 720p to 1080i, and pass 480i native. This allows you to use whatever stretch mode you wish in the TW series Toshiba. Note that the Panasonic unit has a similar mode.
    RudolphT has good points as well, but I prefer using the stretch modes as you do, so the Sony is a better solution for me. Like him, I use a Pronto, so the remote is a non issue for me. Sony has addressed most of the initial problems with just two remaining (for me at least), the fan noise and the off the air guide info (currently only stations sending PSIP information show guide information). Of course all the DirecTV guide info is fine.
    These choices can be difficult, so I recommend you purchase from a source with a return policy (I had to sell my DST3000 on eBay since OneCall has no return policy at all).
    Roger

6. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

Roger:
    Are you using the HD100? Do you have any problems with heat and/or fan noise? Do you have a tivo or replay and, if so, are you able to integrate the HD100 with it?
    ------------------
    The Whites' Home Theater Website
    Pictures, DIY Projects, Glossaries, FAQ, Links, Toshiba Tips & Tweaks

7. Roger Clark

================================================== ======
    Roger:
    Are you using the HD100? Do you have any problems with heat and/or fan noise? Do you have a tivo or replay and, if so, are you able to integrate the HD100 with it?
    ================================================== ======
    Hi Chris,
    Yes, I'm using the HD100.
    Yes, the fan is a little loud (51db measured at the unit).
    No Tivo, No replay, so can't comment on integration.
    Roger

8. Aaron Arzoumanian

Maybe someone can explain the upconvert is this simular to what the iscan can do?
    Will cable look the same or better?
    thanks in advance,
    Aaron
    [​IMG]
    ------------------

9. Andrew V

Andrew V Stunt Coordinator

10. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell

11. Andrew V

Andrew V Stunt Coordinator

Sorry Ken, I should have been more clear. The Toshiba will only accept one type of Signal. For Example you can’t have Two Satellite Connections but you can have a Satellite and an OTA Signal. This goes for OTA as well. These connections are referring to the back of the Receiver. If you are going to have to hook up two of the same signal then a Diplexor would be your best bet. You could also use an A/B switch.
    Let me know if this helps.
    ------------------
    ~Andrew~
    ~Pronto Programmer~
    AIM SN: FFU Productions
    ICQ #: 21603991
    Home Theater Pictures [Updated: June 22]
    Equipment List | My Growing DVD Collection

12. KenA

KenA Stunt Coordinator

Ken Appell
    Thanks, that helps. I'm leaning towards a TW65H80 and I know that HD programming is picking up in NYC, so I'd like to get a STB. My only concern is the future of the connections. I may get a Mits with firewire. I know about the red push, but I've also read that its not difficult to fix with an in-line filter.
    [Edited last by KenA on July 11, 2001 at 02:03 PM]

13. Aaron Arzoumanian

I am not sure why no one has answered my question.
    I now have the toshiba 65h80 in my house.
    once again if you can answer this please do so.
    Can someone please explain if the upconvert of the tosh dst 3000 is this simular to what the iscan can do?
    Will cable look the same or better?
    I have no OTA HD signals in my area.
    Is the Tosh dst-3000 worth buying just to upcovert cable?
    thanks in advance,
    Aaron
    ------------------