Toshiba CX2066

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jimmy_zdc, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Jimmy_zdc

Jimmy_zdc Agent

An era has ended....

I have had this TV since my parents handed it down to me. It was manufactured in 1986...and I must say the picture looked better than most TV's on the market today with the exception of HDTV's. It has almost a pure flat screen probably on the first like this. I loved this TV so much the blacks were so dark and the picture was so sharp. I think this TV was considered a 'monitor' (what the manual says...maybe just a marketing thing) yet there are only composite hookups on it. Anyways I go to turn it on tonight and I get nothing. I used it last night and the picture was perfect...no signs of anything going bad. It has 2 LEDs on the front which normally stay off until the TV is turned on. But now they are dimly lit up even when the TV is off. Anyways I would really like to keep this TV since I really dont have the moeny for a nice HDTV and I just can't bare to spend the money on a standard TV since they just dont look as good as this one did. I have a feeling that it might be the power supply gone bad. I have never had any issues with this TV..it has been rock solid for 17-18 years....anyone have any ideas on how to fix or any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks,

Jaime

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, Jimmy, after putting in that much time the TV has served you well. I understand the sentimentality, but even today's low-priced NTSC-only Toshibas will provide you with an even better picture (don't go by what you see on showroom floors; too, today's Toshibas have 16:9 modes and all the connections you need).

3. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Take it in for repair. I've got a 1985 Toshiba CZ2084 and I feel it has a better picture than any TV I've ever owned. It has 3 sets of composite inputs including one in front plus an RGB computer input. Mine went out last summer and I couldn't get a picture. Turned out to be a relatively simple repair and cost me maybe $85. Even the repair tech told me this TV has an outstanding picture especially being 18 years old. I could have bought a cheap 20" stereo TV for less than $200 but I wanted my baby fixed. Glad I did it.

Most repair places will give you an estimate for a low price and put that toward the repair if you chose to do so.

4. Jimmy_zdc

Jimmy_zdc Agent

Greg,

I was afraid everyone was going to think I was crazy by saying that the picture on this TV was better than anything else out there in SD....Thank goodness you replied! At least I know someone else out there shares the same feelings about these sets. Did yours have the same problem as mine? Just wont turn on at all? If so what was the faulty part? Transformer?

Thanks,

Jaime

5. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Mine would turn on but I got no display. I even connected a VCR thru the composite inputs and got sound but no picture. But the tuner wouldn't work either. I think they just resoldered several loose connections. Definitely wasn't the power supply.

I thought it was the picture tube and I was writing obituaries for the thing. I've got an old college roommate who bought the same set 1 year after me and he said the picture is better than his 2 year old 32 inch Sony.

I think my brother has a similar set to yours. Bought it for him in the late 80's from Price Club before it changed names to Costco. He's still has his too.

By the way, my TV is heavy. Much more than a 20" made today. Its my bedroom TV and gets daily use. Have a VCR and DVD plugged into it, as well as my receiver for OSD setup.

Something that stays in your family that long is difficult to let go.

6. Jimmy_zdc

Jimmy_zdc Agent

Yea I hear yea on the picture quality thing. Mine is used as a bedroom TV right now too. I have just my PS2 connected to it for late night movie watching and playing video games. Anyways I'm gonna do my best to try to get this thing repaired. Hopefully its not too expensive. I will keep you updated.

Thanks,

Jaime

7. Jimmy_zdc

Jimmy_zdc Agent

The Toshiba is fixed!! Turns out it was just a little cap. THe part was like 50 cents. Turns out a guy down the street from my fiance's house used to fixed TV's. He needed some help repairing a couple tiles on his roof so he fixed my TV and I fixed his roof. Good trade off I would say [​IMG] He also fixed the little door on the front whihc had a broken hing so it would always fall off. And he cleaned up the remote which works perfectly. He even went to the lengths of trying to find some replacment speakers since the ones of the TV were so old that the foam surround had totally disintegrated. But he couldnt find any...I guess the speaker size is somewhat of a wierd one....but heck he didnt have to do all that. Thanks Martin [​IMG]

Now my next step is to sell my Klipsch RF-7s...damn new house doesnt have a room big enough for them (I have 6 brand new in the box RF-7s & a RSW 12 I need to sell). Need to either sell the whole system or keep the RC-7 and a pair of fronts...sell the rest and get maybe RS-3 or RS-7 to hang on the wall. Sheesh.