Toshiba CRT question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron F, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Ron F

Ron F Auditioning

I've had my 36A40 for a little over a month now, and think I'm familiar enough with it to ask some questions.
    1) Any way to change the default labels for TV/Video1/Video2 to something more descriptive?
    2) Any easy ways to do anamorphic squeeze other than going into service mode and changing a whole bunch of parameters?
    3) The black bars when viewing in letterbox are tilted. They seem pretty straight, they just don't line up with the edge of the TV. How hard is this to fix? I assume it involves going into service mode and changing some parameters, not actually physically changing anything like pots or shims?
    This is my first post so please be gentle...
    Thanks
    Ron
    ------------------

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Ron,
    I have a 27A40...I don't believe in the A40 series there is anyway to change the labels of the inputs. The A60 series is needed for that. Yes, you'll need to go in and tinker with the service variables to try and do the "squeeze" trick - VSIZ being the first to change but then also mucking with the geometry which may distort when you squeeze the scan lines into a more confined space. I have not tried this on my tv. Tilt can only be fixed via a physical adjustment. Take a measuring tape and measure each side to see if the letterbox line is sloping. I have a 1/4 inch tilt which isn't really noticeable. One day I just happened to notice a slight slope and measured it. It hasn't bothered me since. I would be interested to know if your set has any problems with green in the lower end of the grayscale...that's my one Toshiba pet peeve with these sets. I made a post eariler regarding a scene from Star Trek II which bugs me to no end [​IMG]
    cheers,
    --tom

3. Ron F

Ron F Auditioning

I have not noticed any problems with green push.
    I did want to ask what you thought of the theater mode. Seems very red to me, but otherwise a pleasing, soft picture for dvds.
    Thanks
    Ron

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

For me the theater mode is too bright and washed out. I lose black vs white detail. Scenes that are meant to be bright look like the sun may have gone nova [​IMG] It's interesting to note that on the A series Toshiba tvs that if you set the user level settings to identical values as the Theater setting (including the WARM color temperature setting) that you do not get the same picture as just setting to it Theater. At least as far as I can tell. It seems Toshiba is doing something else in there as well. I'd be curious if others have the same experience.
    cheers,
    --tom