Toshiba CRT: disable SVM?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AngeloNA, Feb 19, 2004.

1. AngeloNA

AngeloNA Agent

I've read in this forum that to disable SVM on some of the Toshiba models that do not have a specific option, one must switch to "movie" picture mode and work from there. But, I've read elsewhere that in movie mode, SVM is actually set to "low" not off. The only way to completely disable it is through the service menu. Any thoughts/experience with this issue? Would it be worth it to access the service menu to deal with this? I'm a bit wary of going in there, but I've read some pretty clear instructions on this specific matter. Does accessing the service menu void the tv's warranty (how will they know?)

2. Clayton Jr

Clayton Jr Extra

I recently purchased a Toshiba 34HFX83. One of the main differences between the 34HFX83 and it's cheaper sibling, the 34HF83, is the ability to disable SVM. There is a very clear menu option to change the SVM settings on the HFX model.

This is a selling point for the higher-end model, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was not at all possible to disable that function on the cheaper sets.

3. AngeloNA

AngeloNA Agent

Does it give you options as to the degree of SVM, like High, low, or Off? And if so, is there a significant difference between Off and Low? I wonder if the choice of degree of SVM is available only in the Toshiba projection models and the CRT's only have Off and On, which, as you said, is user-defeatable in the higher model.

4. Clayton Jr

Clayton Jr Extra

No -- High, Low, and Off are indeed the options for this model, so it's not just on projection sets.

There's enough of a difference between any kind of SVM that most people turn it off for DVDs.

5. AngeloNA

AngeloNA Agent

wow, so you can actually set the degree of SVM, huh? When you go into "Movie" picture mode, does it automatically set SVM to Low or Off? Or is SVM unaffected by whatever picture mode you're in, in your model?

Upon further research at keohi.com, I discovered that Toshiba has locked out access to Designer Mode in the newer models, which is where one can manually change the settings for SVM. So I can't do anything anyways, other than return the set, which is a possibility. That's why I'm trying to figure out if I'll even notice this problem.

6. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Instead of fretting over this, why not look at a needle pulse pattern from a test disc and decide for yourself the effect or non-effect of SVM in the movie preference mode?

Regards

7. AngeloNA

AngeloNA Agent

I didn't have such a test disc before but now I do! And it appears that in Movie mode, SVM is off (or too low for me to tell), and it is 'high' for Sports mode and 'low' for Standard mode. I don't know why they couldn't just include a simple dedicated SVM option, without charging $200 more.

8. Mark Hamilton

Mark Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

SVM? Could you guys fill me in on the details here? Thanks~ [​IMG]

9. Joe Acevedo

Joe Acevedo Agent

Me too. Please. [​IMG]

10. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

if i disable svm on my samsung the picture looks blurry to me. do some tvs need to have it on?

johnny

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    SVM = Scan Velocity Modulation. A type of 'sharpness' setting that the TV uses. Problem with this is it leaves the effects akin to turning up the sharpness too high, ie. halos.

Turning it off creates a softer, but more natural picture.

Johnny_m: It may be that you're not used to having such a soft picture before. Many people are used to seeing super sharp pictures, but it turns out that its just not natural looking. In Avia IIRC, the narrator says that you may be tempted to bump up the sharpness after having it calibrated properly, but you must try to resist, because really, the softer image is more natural and realistic.