Toshiba Colorstream + Bistream/PCM Audio + Homemade DVDs

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Darwin, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Darwin

Darwin Auditioning

Jan 9, 2004
    I have a Toshiba DVD player and TV. I need to get a new DVD player that can play CDR and CD-RW.

I am thinking of getting another Toshiba because of the "supposed" proprietary colorstream advantages.

However, when I play a homemade DVD that is made with either LPCM or MP2, I must manually switch my DVD player audio setting from "Bitstream" (used for 5.1) to "PCM" and then back again for regular movies. This is very irritating, not easily done by other family members - I don't understand why it does not have an "auto" mode and detect the audio codec by itself! I do not want to use AC3 audio when building my DVDs because it takes more steps, more time and more space on the disk.

So I have three questions:

1) Is there a Toshiba DVD player that can automatically switch between AC3 audio and LPCM and/or MP2 ? I am hoping to stay in the 90-130 price range - but would like to know if there are ANY Toshiba players that do it.

2) Is there really anything to "Colorstream" or is it just a fancy name for standard component video? If there is no discernable advantage, then I might pick another player brand that can play both audio types automatically.

3) Does anyone know of other brands and/or models that will play both MP2 and AC3 audio with no manual setting changes?
  2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

May 30, 2003
    Get a non-Toshiba, other models like JVC, Panasonic, Pioneer, and Denon don't have those problems - they play DVDRs with PCM or MP2 audio fine without changing any settings. Colorstream is just Toshiba's name for component video, theirs is not special in any way!