Toshiba color adjustments

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben K, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Ben K

Ben K Auditioning

After using the Video Essentials dvd on my 56H80 I've had to continuously lower the color adjustments quite a bit from where it was "supposed" to be. Watching dvd's the color saturation was just too high. Even on high definition material. Colors are just too bright. Initially the color setting was in the high 60's and tint is -9 after using VE. Right now color is in the low 40's. Is this normal? I'm curious to see other peoples color/tint settings for the similar models. I know its not gonna be exact but I figure it'll probably be close.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    Not surprising ... but the reason for the deviation is the colour decoder in the Toshiba. Your set is pushing red too much and this throws off the blue filter for the colour/tint test.
    since you cannot decrease the intensity of the red push, you have to bring down the colour saturation of all colours to compensate. It is normal, although not preferable. [​IMG]
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Ben, did you look at the color decoder pattern? I am not sure if Video Essentials has one but Avia does. It will let you quantify the level of red push you may be suffering from, as well as just tell you in general if red, green or blue are being oversaturated after setting the color and tint with the blue filter.
    cheers,
    --tom

4. Ben K

Ben K Auditioning

If you're talking about the color bars, yes. Thats looks fine after matching the bars using the blue filter. But when watching actual material, whether it be dtv, analog or dvd the color is oversaturated.

5. Ryan Pream

Ryan Pream Stunt Coordinator

Aren't there some red push service menu settings he can change to get rid of the red push? Red seems about right on my TW40X81 after calibrating the color on VE. I've also done the grey scale by eye on my set so who knows what I've messed up [​IMG]
    It looks damn good to me though!
    Ryan
    ------------------

6. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Ben, yes, it's the three barred pattern called "Color Decoder" in Avia - under Advanced Video Patterns or some such chapter. One uses the red, green and blue Avia filters to quantify whether any color is under/over saturated in relation to the others. On most sets, people find that after calibrating the color and tint with the flashing blue filter pattern, that red is oversaturated. You should be able to see if any color is oversaturated and by what amount (i.e. 10, 15 percent, etc.). If you're not seeing any oversaturation on this pattern using the same inputs that you view material on, then that is strange. If you are, then depending on the tv set and your familiarity with the service level parameters, there are ways to fix it. Most people just lower the overall saturation in the user level menu.
    hope this helps,
    --tom

7. Ben K

Ben K Auditioning

From what you're saying Thomas the Video essentials color adjustment portion doesnt seem as involves as Avia's. I'll try and get a copy of it and see if I get better results. Thanks. Any good Avia links?

8. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Ben, I believe the main Avia page ishttp://www.ovationsw.com . You should be able to find a copy for $35-40 on-line. Others have also mentioned that some video stores rent it.
    cheers,
    --tom

9. Ben K

Ben K Auditioning

I was able to pick up a copy of Avia today from Best Buy. I like it much better than VE but my settings werent that much different than before. I've lowered color a bit more but it looks kinda lifeless. I'll mess with it more. I'm going to pick up a progressive scan dvd this weekend. Maybe I'll get better results with a different player.

10. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Ben, after adjusting color/tint with the Avia blue flashing pattern, did the color decoder show any red push? If so and you had to lower overall color saturation to bring it down to around 0-5 percent then there is probably not much you can do about it other than find the point where the color looks good and the red push doesn't bother you.
    cheers,
    --tom

11. Chris Sigua

Chris Sigua Stunt Coordinator

From what you're saying Thomas the Video essentials color adjustment portion doesnt seem as involves as Avia's. I'll
    try and get a copy of it and see if I get better results. Thanks. Any good Avia links?
    Ben
    Try this link from the software archives. It's has LOTS of info about Avia from Guy Kuo.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...17-000004.html
    On doing your adjustments, does anyone know if there is a way to make changes without the full-color menu on the screen? It makes it very hard to change settings. To do it, I had to:
    1.Make adjustments
    2.Exit the menu
    3.Look at the picture
    4.Enter the menu
    5.Back to step 1
    Just a pain having to do it that way, especially when you're doing smalll incremental changes.
    TIA