Toshiba Cinema vs. Wega flat screens

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kuopus, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Jeff Kuopus

Jeff Kuopus Auditioning

I've decided to wait on a HDTV monitor at this point in time due to all the various unresolved issues, but in the meantime I've decided to go with a 36" flatscreen and have pretty much narrowed it down between the Toshiba Cinema Series and the Sony Wega's. After doing some research and actually seeing both of the televisions side by side I'm leaning toward the Toshiba 36AFX61. The only issue that I'm a little unsure of is the ablity of the Sony to do v-compression. If anyone could shed some light on there experience with the Cinema series and also if I would really notice a great difference without the compression feature well viewing a DVD. Thanks alot in advance.

2. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Vertical compression makes a considerable difference when viewing dvds that are enhanced for widescreen tvs. All Sony Wega sets that are 27 inches or larger have this feature. The new Toshiba HFX71 direct view definately has this feature and is HD ready, and a fair bit cheaper than the competing XBR series from Sony.

3. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Does anyone know if any other Toshiba's do the compression? I'm also interested in the 36AFX61.
    Thanks,
    -EJ

4. Marco B

Marco B Agent

I'm also leaning towards the toshiba flat screen but I'm looking into the 36hf71 instead of the 36hfx71 version. I've been told the hfx has better sound and remote but basically the same.

5. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Marco,
    I didn't even know there was an HF71. Is that also an HD-ready direct view tube?? Anyone seen one yet?

6. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

I have both a Sony Wega and the Toshiba 36AFX61 and there is no comparison, the Toshiba outperforms the Sony in every way--picture, sound, connection inputs.

7. Mike-H

Mike-H Agent

JasonRH, a few days ago I noticed 36HF71's in boxes, but not on display, at my local Best Buy.

8. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

I toyed with a 36HFX71 for a few minutes today in a local store. My first impression was that at least this particular set had geometry problems just like every other flat screen that I've seen. It was manifesting itself in a bottom letterbox bar that was bowed up in the middle and noticably lower on the left side that the right.
    I also messed around with the compression options. The remote has a Pic Size button. When pressed it brings up three options, Normal, Letterbox and Compression. You press the corresponding number to select the aspect ratio. The letterbox option adds gray bars on the top and bottom while the compression option actually compressed the rastor. While not quite as convenient as the automatic option in the Sony or Panasonic, I think that I actually would prefer it so I can ensure that I could make any source (through the component inputs) 16:9 if I so choose.
    I didn't get to do much else because the sales guys were breathing all over me. Asking price was $1,899 in a discount type AV store. I've seen it advertised at $1,999-$2,199 elsewhere.