1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Toshiba Cinema Series Not Available at Sears?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_N, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Brent_N

Brent_N Stunt Coordinator

I am considering purchasing a Toshiba 53HX71 RPTV. I was pleased to find out that my local Sears does do the Internet price matching (print out the add, then they will actually call to confirm).
    Unfortunately, I then found out that my Sears does not carry the Toshiba Cinema line ("X" series). On the Sears web site, these TVs are also not listed.
    Has anyone found these models at Sears and specifically the 53HX71? If not, can Sears special order any Toshiba model or are they just limited to the specific models they carry in the store? I stand to save quite a bit of money by Internet price matching so I hope this is possible.
    Thanks,
    Brent

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

If you are asking about the 71 series models, they are last years, and that may be why you are having trouble getting them. This years models end in 81.
    At any rate, you can e-mail Sears and they will let you know where the closest one is.
    Glenn
    [Edited last by Glenn Overholt on October 27, 2001 at 11:09 PM]

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The Sears in this part of the country do not carry the Cinema Series Toshiba HD sets and I have only found the 50H81 Theaterwide Series there. They did not have a listing for the 57 or 53 in either series.
    So far, I have only found the Cinema Series Tosh at specialty retailers like Giant TV. After seeing one of the HX series, decided that is the one I will buy. BTW, the 57HX81 was 2999.00 at Giant, whereas the 57H81 (Theaterwide Series) was 2799 at Best Buy. All this before negotiations. I would pay the extra just for that anti-glare screen on the HX Tosh! It really works!
    ------------------
    "I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

4. Michael St. Clair

The 71 models are this years 4:3 models with proper 16:9 squeeze mode. Last year's models were 80 (16:9) and 70 (4:3).

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Sorry, I stand corrected - but you should stil contact them.
    Glenn

6. Barry_R

Barry_R Stunt Coordinator

Brent, Only certain retailers will carry the HX series Toshiba models. Best Buy which carries everything Toshiba, for instance, does not carry the HX series. I discovered this last year when I bought mine. The H series are more widely distributed, and are often $100-$200 less than the HX series. The HX series are a little more high end and typically have more to them, some things which may or may not be important to you. I did find that there was also some minor differences in the technical specifications of the two models. Check Toshiba's web site for details between the HX and the H series. If there is little or no price difference, go for the HX if you can.
    I have last years model, the 55HX70. I HIGHLY recommend them.
    Barry.