Toshiba Cinema Series HD vs TheatreWide HD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Peloski, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Rob Peloski

Rob Peloski Agent

What is the main difference between these two lines? I'm only concerned with 16x9 TV's.
    For instance, comparing the 50HX81 (cinema series) to the 50H81 (theatrewide). I see the cinema series is about 200 more so I assume it's better. Is this correct?
    Thanks

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

The HX is said to have better stuff inside, lens, CRT, and the better anti-glare screen. U might try and check Toshiba's website for more details. Also, try and drop by Home Theater Spot which has a Toshiba area. Here u'd find additional info on it. Some say its worth the extra $200,some not.
    Since both models are now available, u can have a choice. I for one took the plunge and went with a 65HX81. I wouldn't like to say to myself.."Darn it...I wish I had gotten the HX81 instead of the H81".
    ------------------
    Eric Samonte
    Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I talked to an ISF Tech yesterday, who works for an authorized Toshiba dealer, here are The difference in the H and HX series:
    Pegasus 2 Advanced HD CRTs
    Niltava Advance Lens Technology
    56key backlit remote
    2 way speakers with seperate tweeters
    WOW by SRS surround sound
    Touchfocus autoconvergence system (dont need it)
    Theatershield A/R
    The most important differences would be the Pegasus 2 advanced HD CRTs, the Niltava advanced lens technology, and the theatershield.
    The Pegasus 2 Advanced HD CRTs mean they are shielded with some metallic substance that doesnt fade, whereas paint fades over time. normal RPTVs' image brightness/contrast loses 10% of its intensity every year of normal use, thus only giving you about 7 years of GOOD video. The pegasusII CRTs use some sort of metallic alloy whatever that last longer, and will give 10-15 years of good video because they wont fade or soemthing...
    The Niltava lens technology means the lenses themselves have some stuff injected in them where normal lenses are like painted on top or something...
    The theatershield is just a tinted protective screen that protects and somewhat prevents glare...
    ------------------
    The So Family Home Theater!
    http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
    You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine

4. Anthony GT

Anthony GT Stunt Coordinator

Eric, I'm very close to deciding on an 65HX81. Do you have yours yet?
    If so, how does cable tv look on it? (assuming you have cable). Right now that's my biggest concern. Everywhere I've gone to see various Toshibas they all have a satellite feed. My family watches a lot of cable so I'd like that to look good too. Especially football. [​IMG]
    Anthony

5. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Anthony,
    Don't count on the cable looking good here. On my 50h81, it looks snowy. It's light, but still not crystal clear. I find that the worst thing to look at is golf. The ball looks horrible. Fortunately, I don't watch golf. I don't think this is the TV's fault though. I would imagine that when you take Comcast's reception and stretch it out on one of these huge TV's (especially a 65"), it just amplifies the problems.
    To stick with the thread, I would say to go for the hx series. They are only a few 100 more and apparently better.
    ------------------
    Stefan Antwarg
    My DVD Collection
    The Regal Brass Quintet Not HT related

6. Anthony GT

Anthony GT Stunt Coordinator

Stefan, thanks for the input. But I'm in the northern part of the county and get to enjoy the quality cable services of Clearview cable. [​IMG] I don't know if I would get any better or worse picture than what you are getting with Comcast.
    I was hoping that the HX model would yield a noticably better cable picture than the H. That would make my decision for me. I guess the only way to really tell is to buy one and look at it at home.
    Anthony

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Both the H and the HX series have the same Line Doubling Program (Interpolation), called "ISDCPro", so theres not gonna be much difference i dont think
    ------------------
    The So Family Home Theater!
    http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
    You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine
    [Edited last by NickSo on October 08, 2001 at 06:47 PM]

8. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Anthony...no..not yet. I'll have it next week. I should be getting it this Friday but I opted for white glove delivery hence another week. We just moved here and have yet to find people to help me move the 278lb behemoth...and that's just the actual TV.
    From what I've been reading all over, cable seems to vary station to station as well as service. I have cable which actually sucks on a small set. I'm hoping everything doesn't just get magnified. We do however watch a lot of DVDs so it isn't much of an issue for us I think. But I do plan to go Direct TV or the like very soon....if only to witness the glory of HD.
    I'll keep u posted when it comes in.
    ------------------
    Eric Samonte
    Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!