Toshiba Cinema Series 50AX60A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Lovern, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern Agent

Was the Toshiba Cinema Series 50AX60A (50" 4:3 HDTV) a good set? I have an opportunity to buy a used one locally in good condition for $1,000. Is that a good price for it?

Thanks,

Greg

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

considering that you can go HD for 4 to 500 more ... no.

$800 maybe ... tops

Regards

3. Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern Agent

Hi Michael,

4. Kevin Silence

No, this TV is not an HDTV. But, from what I understand, it has an excellent picture. I really considered getting this TV. But, in the end, I decided to go HDTV. But the price was going to have to be very good.

If you wait and continue to look around, you will find a great deal. You just have to be patient. I was going to buy the Panny 53" widescreen as soon as I saw it on sale for around $1,400-$1,500. Well, three weeks ago, Circuit City had the Panny 56" fullscreen HDTV on sale for $1,199 brand new in the box. I jumped on it. Too good of a deal to pass up. Mine came with an excellent picture right out of the box.

Since you were already considering fullscreen,just be patient, and I guarantee that you will be able to find a new HDTV that you can afford and be happy with.

Good luck.

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    But the problem w/ the Panny 56" 4x3 is that it doesn't have a user-selectable 16x9 mode for 480p. That's what caused me to pass on it--I think it was actually $1300.

The Toshiba 50H72 is probably a better choice for a 4x3 set. I suppose if the price is too high for your budget, you can wait and see if that won't get blown out on clearance next year.

_Man_

6. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Re. Toshiba's 50H72 (4x3) .....
    Anybody own this model? How's the picture quality?
    And can somebody tell me how wide the shelf area on top is?
    Is $1,699.00 a decent price for the 50H72?
    Obliged. [​IMG]

7. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Greg Lovern,
    The resale value of RPTVs is really low. Personally, a used non-HDTV set, 4:3 aspect ratio, I'd offer $200, maybe compromise on $300. But there's no way in hell I'd pay $1000 for it. Criminy...I've seen brand new analog RPTVs in the $800 range.
    If you could get the set as cheaply as I've mention above, it might be a wise way to get through the transitional period between now and (supposedly) 1-1-06. It might also be a decent second (disposable) set for playing 4:3 video games, classic TV, kids' TV, etc. But the price has to be right.
    Any particular reason you want a 4:3 set? If you're looking for long-term value, you'll find less and less 4:3 material being broadcast and more and more 16:9 as we zero in on 1-1-06. Unless you had a special need (mainly watch classic TV or pre-50s movies, etc.) I'd think that a widescreen set would give you more value over its lifetime than a 4:3 set will.
    Jan
    A Certified Widescreen Avocado (typo on certificate)

8. Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

Good condition how? Used how? Ignore the cosmetic shape.
    Is this a dealer's floor demo?
    Unless you pull the screen, and take the lense off the Green CRT to see if there is any burn-in (first with the power off, then, reduce contrast to about 10-15 and view it
    with the CRTs energized).
    Jan has the right plan. $200, maybe $300 if it is mint.