toshiba Cinema 65hdx82 or rca scenium hd65w140

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ross ish, Feb 25, 2003.

1. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

It is a given that both sets display superb pictures, according to professional reviewers from S&V, Perfect Vision,Home Theater, and E-Gear. I compared the Toshiba at ABT and it was difinitely better than every RPTV in the room except for the Mitsu 65711 Diamond where it was a toss up. I have not seen the rca 65inch scenium on display anywhere, only the 61inch. The toshiba and rca are about the same price.

Toshiba: excellent crt with 6 element lens, dvi inputs, slick upconversion circuitry IDSC pro, cable clear dnr, 720p input, fine pitch screen 52mm, 1200 lines resolution, excellent stretch modes, rich looking cabinetry.

Rca: dvi input, Firewire input, built in web browser, built in terrestial hd receiver, 720p input, fine pitch screen 52mm, 1400 lines resolution, 30 watt sub, 7band equalizer, motion adaptive upconverter, and the best looking cabinet around.

The toshiba seems to have the edge in refining analog signals and in stretching modes. The rca has a big edge in future proof with both dvi and firewire and throws in a terrestrial hd receiver (a $300 value). Toshiba has been pretty reliable. Rca has fixed earlier problems with lockups.

I am having a difficult time deciding which set to purchase. Will appreciate any input or opinions.

2. Gilbert ^P

Gilbert ^P Stunt Coordinator

i would probably pick the Tosh since others seem to like it so much. Lots of tweaks available for it. the Rca is an attractive set. i would DEFINATLY get an extended warranty for both especially the RCA since there service is terrible from all the post i've read at this forum and others. which ever you choose you will probably be happy but i would pick the Tosh no questions.

3. Antonio_B

Antonio_B Stunt Coordinator

Hey Ross,how are you?
    I currently own a Toshiba 57HDX82 and i can't be happier.
    As you mentinonned,excellent picture for DVD's,excellent stretch mode for analog signals.
    So go with the Tosh and don't look back.
    Later.

Antonio

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Toshibas seem to be a favorite due to its price, reliablility, tweakability (is there such a word?) not to mention their great stretch modes.
    RCAs seem to be on the come back, but would u pluck down big bucks to take a chance on them?........I wouldn't....
    BTW, a proud owner of a 65HX81...

5. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Tosh (from a Toshiba owner).

Jan

6. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I like the way the new RCA's look and it is great that they make it future proof, but I think I would go with the Toshiba because of reliability issues.

7. VicQ

VicQ Stunt Coordinator

Reading all bad posts this year's HDX series is getting over at www.hometheaterspot.com, I would hesitate to get one. You would be better off buying the H series or you could try the RCA. I, too, am deciding between a Toshiba or an RCA, the 42" and the 40". I liked the RCA 1080i picture more than the Tosh at the store I was comparing them at. Both units have their pluses and minuses, but I wouldn't discount the RCA due to realiability issues as the HDX is having some problems in that department and I haven't heard any bad crt's affecting the RCA line yet. If I were to decide on buying a Toshiba, I would get the H83 series, which should be out duing the summer. I would not buy a HDX. (the H series appear to use different crt's which is were the problems are occuring).

-Vic

8. Brian Bowles

Brian Bowles Second Unit

I think there is a potential problem with some hdx tvs but most are fine. I think it is blown out of proportion at hometheater spot. I posted here about the flicker problem and no one replied. I am about to get a toshiba 65 and i think i will go with the hdx and not the h series.

9. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

The thread over at TheSpot was an eye-opener for me regarding the HDX line. Twenty different recent buyers of the HDX are having problems, but the above post is also correct; only those that have a problem, post.

10. John_Drake

John_Drake Extra

My 2-cents...
    I bought the Toshiba 65HDX82 in October and have been quite happy with it. It looks great with DVD and HiDef, DirecTV is good. The HDX (Cinema Series) units are supposed to have the better CRTs and they have a DVI connector which the H (TheaterWide Series) units do not (although you can add one later). I too think you have to keep the posts in context. The Toshiba is a popular choice due to past reviews and price point. There are more of them out there so you are going to hear more probs.
    Whatever set you choose, get yourself an extended warranty. These type of sets tend to be finicky anyway. You are spending a good sum of money so why not protect your investment. Usually you can get the store to throw it in for free (it's gravy for them anyway). When I bought my Toshiba, I got them to throw in the 5 year warranty ($400 value) for free. If anything goes wrong, they fix it or replace the set.
    I generally don't go for the extended warranties, but in this case I wouldn't buy one without it.
    I hope this helps.
    Good luck!