What's new

Toshiba A2 $98.87 at Wal-Mart this Friday! (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I haven't been keeping up with the differences between models, but for that price, with that much free software- it would probably be worth it to buy a new player and pack up my A1 as 'insurance', just in case the format does goes kaput early (not that I really expect it to, but it would be a better use of funds than, say, buying BBs protection plan for it).
If I weren't still making a few monthly payments on a Bd player I bought last June, I would definitely run out now and grab another HD DVD deck.

9 pieces of software @ conservative estimate of $20 each, and the player ends up being $20.

great deal on hardware, but I have to wonder just how much sw in the future this is going to really move.

Patrick.C

Second Unit

Using that equation for todays deal on the A2,

5 pieces of software @ conservative estimate of $20 each, and the player ends up being -$2.00! They pay you to take it! :)

Really though when you consider that the A2 and A3 are spec-for-spec identical except for the optical audio out listed above (and the A2 is actually better in that regard) - the A2 would be the better choice. Less money and DTS vs DD.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Regarding whether the A2 or A3 is the better value with the current deals, don't see much difference. A2 apparently has the 'better' optical sound option for most folks, while the A3 allegedly loads faster and is a little sleeker-looking. The A3 is also the newer model, for whatever that's worth so far as future support goes, and at Best Buy you can pick 'combo' titles at $34.99 for your 2 free selections (not available with the 'universal' mail-in rebate), so some added value there.

I bought 3 of the HD-A2s, and one of the HD-A3s, as Christmas presents for family members. :)

Here's a thread at AVS talking about exactly the same question: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=932567

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Cool, guys. I don't really care about the deck's looks or the initial load time. Well, a faster load time would be nice, but not for more than double the price. :)

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Is it true that 300 and Bourne Supremacy come inside the box of the A3's? I've heard this was true for at least Best Buy.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

I have 300 and Bourne *Identity* in my (Best Buy) box (matching the sticker/print on the outside of the box about the 2 titles inside the box), and I've seen multiple posts over at AVS saying the same thing. Toshiba apparently changed the Bourne title recently.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Scored mine at WalMart on my lunch break. After stopping at BestBuy where they only had a floor model with no cables (not even the power cord) or remote left in stock I headed to WM where I had never seen any HD-DVD players. They had a large display with about 18 left (12:30ish). Didn't seem to be much interest in them, only one other person while I was there. The only movie they had was Blood Diamond so I headed back to BB where I got the last copy of Transformers and Sea Busciut. I actually hadn't planned on buying into a player yet, but the price pushed me over the edge. I'm in!!

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Anyone else a little concerned we didn't see all of these fly off the shelf right away (i.e. within 1 hour). It signals to me that people still aren't all that interested in HDM even at rock bottom prices. I'll be curious to see what Black Friday is like in a few weeks. I'm already planning to be in line at Sears for the A3.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
After reading some of the post over at AVS about availability it seems they actually sold out pretty well. Glad to see my initial impressions were wrong.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Was this a one day only anybody know? After watching Transformers last night on the A2, as bad a s the movie is, the whole family is hooked on the A2. Thinking about picking up another. I also tried it upconverting SD DVD and was shocked at the difference in PQ. Even my wife could tell the difference. Just as an upconverting player this thing rocks. Why did I wait so long? Oh yeah, the price.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I must admit I didn't really know this sale was going on, and I imagine I am not in the minority. I happened to swing by a local Walmart yesterday evening on my way home for work because I read in another thread that people had luck finding the new Three Stooges boxset there. I did track down a copy, so I am happy about that.

While walking into the electronics department, the $368 Acer laptop caught my eye. Not realizing this was a "Black Friday" sale price, my knee-jerk reaction to it was, "What's wrong with this thing and why is it so cheap?" I looked at it for a minute or two and kept walking. There were at least 8 or 9 laptops stacked up on the shelf.

Shortly after that, I observed a similar pile (maybe 6 or 7) of the Toshiba A2s. Here again, I paused for a minute or two, and I must admit that I DID think about grabbing one, but since I still have not upgraded from lowly "standard def" television yet, there did not seem to be much point. Plus, although I continue to sit out the format war and really don't have a vested interest one way or the other, at this point, I find myself leaning towards Blu-ray.

So, in the end, I passed on both of these "hot sales," not because they are bad deals - - they clearly are not. Rather, I think this "stealth marketing" approach that Walmart took to promoting the sale backfired... at least for me personally.

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I didn't find out about it until it was too late. Kind of pissed, because I would bought one for sure, had I known about it. I'd say that if the goal was to sell a lot of players at this price, the "stealth" thing was probably not that great an idea. It at least caused them to miss getting MY money.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
That price on the player may still be in effect, if they have any left in stock. When I was at my local Wal-Mart today, they still had some of the $14.96 HD DVDs (picked up Clerks II and Lucky # Slevin) and the tag on the shelf said that price was good until tomorrow (11/4). Don't know if that's just for the discs or also the player (again, if any stores still have them).

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I'm guessing that most folks who snagged these were hardcore A/V forum folks who already own a machine or ebay resellers.....general public who isn't really into hi-def DVD?..not so much.

Our WM had one guy snag all 10 that were on the shelf....you just know he was off to ebay minutes later.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I was at Fry's, Fremont Ca. this morning and they said they offered the A-3 for $98 on Friday to match Walmart because even though their computer said they had a bunch of A-2's in stock they couldn't find them! Had all store employees looking everywhere for them. A-3's sold out in an hour and a half. Still looking for the A-2's! They think an employee snuck 'em out the back door.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
They went pretty quickly at the Walmarts around here. I think I got the second-to-last one at the store where I got in line at 7:30 am.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
i bought 8 on Friday.
I went back today and there was still another dozen or more at my location (rural maine).

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David

Admit it -- you're building a robot to take over the world. We know what you are up to. We're watching you. In high-def! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks