Toshiba 9200.......a steal at 550.00 shipped?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReggieW, Jul 4, 2002.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I have be searching for a replacement for my JVC 721BK DVD-A player. The video quality on this player was excellent, but the audio performance was lackluster in DVD-A/CD playback. I had settled on the Denon 1600, but have been told by several friends that IF you must buy a player for its audio capabilities, then go with the Toshiba 9200. I'm told that the video quality will be at least as good as the JVC's, but the audio performance on the 9200 is probably the best of any consumer oriented DVD-A player bar none, with exceptions being the Denon 9000 and possibly the 3800. I am thinking of spending the extra 100.00 to get the Toshiba 9200 instead of the Denon 1600 - which I am told has excellent DVD-A playback as well, but not on quite on the Tosh 9200 level. The only thing I didn't like about the Toshiba was its age, as I know the 9500 is due by the end of the year, and feel that my unit will feel dated rather quickly. I would like any opinions.

Thanks,

Reg

P.S.- I know the 9200 has the so-called chroma bug, but I currently don't have a HDTV/16X9 display, so won't be using it in progressive mode anyway - yet more of a reason to choose a player for its audio capabilities.

2. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    Reggie,

I was just at the Fry's Electronics on Rosecrans in Manhattan Beach yesterday. They had 9200s priced at $499 on clearance. You might want to give them a call and see if they have any in stock (I didn't ask).

-Keith

3. Brad Van Eerden

It seems what the 9200 lacks that the newer high-end DVD audio players offer is in terms of base manegment (and time managment with the higher Denon). If either or both of these features is important, then you'll have to get an Outlaw ICBM (or something) with the 9200 or look at the new models. Also, some say that the user interface is improved with other, newer brands. I haven't found that to be an issue, once the "Toshiba way" is understood.

The actual audio circuitry appears quite impressive (see stereophile.com for a technical review, if you're into such things)with the higher end 24/192 DACs and all. It seems like it packs enough audio punch for any mid-to-high system.

I think if you're primarily interested in the audio side of DVD that this is a solid choice.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie, the two issues I have heard about regarding the '9200 are the user interface not being too friendly and a "rumbling" noise coming from the transport on some units. Despite these issues, the '9200 is considered an awesome player. In my limited experience demoing it, it is a great component. Where did you find it for $550?

5. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Keith,

I didn't exactly find it, but heard a few people over at audio asylum claim they found it at this price. I believe the poster Teresa may've been the one who stated this. If Fry's here in Los Angeles is closing this out for 499.00, then wow!!!!! btw, I was at the Good Guys late today and they had the Denon 3800 attached to a Plasma display. IT looked OUTSTANDING to me - chroma bug or not. I don't know Keith, everytime I see the 3800, I begin to salivate. IT has bass management and time alignment, and as stated, It would be used strictly as an audio component. I now have four more weeks to choose between the 9200, 3800, or the cheaper 1600, with the 3800 costing twice what the other two cost. Decisions decisions.

Reg

P.S. - I ruled out the Kenwood 5700, as I didn't want another carousel in my matrix since I now have the 222es and the JVC redbook changer.

6. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Reggie - I originally bought a 3800 and later returned it because the remote sucked. It was egg shapes and the buttons were near impossible to operate in the dark.

I have owned a 9200 ever since then, and believe it's all the player it's cracked up to be. I have no problems or issues with this unit, and as for the chroma bug...... What chroma bug? I can't see it and I have a 65" Mits Hi-Def TV.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie, I have yet to see the '3800 at a local store, but I have seen the '9000. The '9000 is a beautiful machine, but at $3500, it certainly should be. I agree with Al in that the remote for the '3800 doesn't look too great, but that's a personal thing. It would be great if you could compare the '9200 and '3800 side-by-side, but a priori, the '9200 looks to be the better deal.

8. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Thanks Al,

but the remote would never be a deal breaker for me on a unit like the 3800. Image, build quality, and sound would take precedent over anything else. I can always get another remote, which I eventually plan to get something like a Pronto to control my entire system sooner or later anyway. Denon has always made pretty crappy remotes - though I hear the ones for their new 1403-1803 receivers will be slightly better.

Keith,

At first sight, the 9200 does appear to be the better bargain since it can be had at half the price of the 3800. It is older, and I expect the image on the 3800 to be better, not to mention real bass management for DVD-A, which is important since I have bookshelf speakers. You figure I would spend 540.00 for the 9200 plus 250.00 for the outlaw ICBM to handle bass management, then that's 800.00. I can probably get the 3800 for around 850.00 shipped at the Denon authorized 6th ave. The 1600 is nice, but I am looking for AN excellent DVD-A player to compete with my 222es. The more I listen to the 222es, the worse my JVC 721 sounds. Now more than ever, I am really starting to notice how poor of an audio unit it really is, and this also enforces your point you've made for some time here that the lack of great DVD-A players has somewhat hampered the format sonically in comaprison to SACD. I feel to find a DVD-A unit comparable to the 222es/555es, it would have to at least be something like the 3800/9200, where there is probably no DVD-A equivalent to something like the SCD-1, or even the 777es for that matter.

Reg

9. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Also.......The 3800 will not play burned CD's!

10. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Al,

Thanks, but I have two other CD changers that play CD-R's. The 3800 will strictly be for DVD-A/VIDEO, anything else will simply be sauce for the goose.

Reg

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Reggie,

You might try the '1600 with DVD-Audio before you shell out more money for the '3800. I'm sure the '3800 is better, but you might find that the '1600 is comparable in quality to your 'C222ES. Of course, the '9200 is priced similar to the '1600, and once again, I feel the '9200 is the best bargain of the three players you are considering. That said, $850 from 6th Ave. Electronics is a great price for the '3800. Decisions, decisions. If I were in your position, I would look into all three, though I would be leaning towards to the '9200 or '3800. Finding the '3800 for $850 would make my decision a bit tougher.

Al,

I assume you have had difficulties playing CD-Rs and/or CD-RWs on the '3800. That's interesting because Crutchfield says that the '3800 plays both. Crutchfield usually gets this information right. Besides, practically all DVD players these days play CD-Rs and CD-RWs. Perhaps your results were a fluke? I know that some CD-R/CD-RW-compatible players have problems with certains brands/types of recordable discs.

12. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

No fluke. When I returned the unit the salesman at Ultimate Electronics even agreed that the 3800 would not play CD-R's.

13. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Well it must be old age or something. I bought and returned a 3300 not a 3800. DOH!!!!!!!!!
    Just ignore me. :b

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Al, that makes sense. The '3300, which was Denon's first DVD-Audio player, is based on the Panasonic DVD-A7 and Technics DVD-A10, which do not play CD-Rs.