Toshiba 65HX81/ Toshiba DST3000 setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rande, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Rande

Rande Auditioning

Am a one week owner of 65HX81 and one day owner of DST 3000 decoder. Somewhere my setup of the two has gone astray. Over the air digital braodcasts, like Monday Night Football game last night, was received as a 4:3 picture size. It looked like HDTV clarity (realy cool), but could not get expansion to full 16:9 size.
    To simplify things, I only have DST 3000 and TV connected (via component feeds from the DST to HD1 on rear of TV). Input to the DST is satellite and antenna joined with the recommended diplexer for a single feed into "satellite in". Went thru setup of DST.....correctly recognized the "local" digital and analog stations, as well as the Direct TV stuff.
    DST setup shows 16:9 selected. Any efforts to crop/full, etc. the picture were non-responsive. If I use "pic size" on the TV's remote to adjust viewing size, receive "not available" message on screen. Only way I could adjust to full-screen, was to select 4:3 ratio in DST setup, then select "full" yielding a full screen picture but malproportioned.
    Don't have Direct TV HD capability yet since only have the oval dish, not plus elliptical.....so I can't determine if satellite HD view is correct.
    Would bet a single selection in setup of tuner, or TV is the culprit, but why isn't my ota HDTV reception fill out the screen?
    ------------------

2. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Sounds like your setup is correct. If you were watching the game on your local ABC digital channel than yes it should have been 4x3 image unless you local affiliate stretches is (mine does not). When using the 1080i setting of the DST you lose control of your pic setting on the TV. If you would have gone to your local ABC analog channel you should have seen a stretched image... Also note that if you think the game looked good last night for you, wait until you actually see a game in HD..

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Rande,
    ABC does not broadcast MNF in HD. My local ABC affiliate simulcasts all it's ntsc programming, upconverted, on it's HD channel, but does not stretch it. So anything that does not originate in HD from the network shows up on the HD channel as 4/3 with black bars on the side. Niether the boxe's nor the TV's stretch or zoom modes work on HD channels.
    There's nothing wrong with your setup. ABC is broadcasting most of it's primetime shows that are movies, dramas or sitcoms in HD, but not the reality shows, game shows, or newsmagazine shows.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.