What's new

Toshiba 65H80 - Huge Convergence Problem (1 Viewer)

Carl Rimmel

Auditioning
I have a 5 year old 65H80. Recently, I had to have the power supply replaced and now I am faced with another issue.

The red gun just suddenly became way out of convergence, particularly on the left side and the extreme right side. For some reason, the middle to middle-right side of the picture is fine. I am guessing it must have something to do with the relative location of the red gun inside the TV itself (even though I am just guessing because I don't really know where this gun is).

This happened about a week ago for about a minute, but once the set "warmed up" (for lack of a better term or reason) the red snapped back into place and the picture was fine.

Has anyone seen this before and, if so, is there anything that can be done to correct it short of calling for service?

Thanks,
Carl

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
time for a service call. your solder joints on your convergence board are starting to fail. Have the servicer replace the solder vs replacing the board

Best wishes

Gregg

Carl Rimmel

Auditioning
Interesting. Is this anything that I can do? I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, but I would need to know what joints are having troubles.

Thanks,
Carl

John S

Senior HTF Member
Does it allow manual convergence?

I can't believe it, but my set sort of did the same thing, so I left it on (bowel games and NFL) for a few days running it constantly and eventually it just went whacky all the time, the same red gun same exact issue as you. Did a manual red multipoint convergence, saved the settings and all seems well since then.

Repairs are pretty expensive on these things. I decided to move up to front FP before this even started, even in my living room, with infocus lowering their price so much on their HD projector and giving away free screens, I just couldn't resist any longer. 76" 3 chip HD LCD display for hardly any money compared to even CRT RP. Just a few thoughts on it is all.

My display really does seem good now with the manual convergence. I cannot believe we both had identical problems in the exact same time frame. :frowning: My display had been rock solid for 2.5 years, so yours went longer at least. :)

Carl Rimmel

Auditioning
By "manual convergence" do you mean that you just adjusted the convergence on the Red using the standard convergence adjustments in the setup menu?

I started to do this but the red doesn't appear to be moving. My set has 9 point convergence available from the setup menu and none of them seem to be working.

Carl Rimmel

Auditioning
More info on my situation:

I am able to adjust the Red convergence in the vertical directions, but not the horizontal. This appears to be what has failed.

I have found a post on another forum that indicates it may just be a solder point issue (also indicated above by Gregg) and that I should wiggle the board to see if it intermittently comes back. I would, but I am not completely certain as to where the convergence board(s) are and what to wiggle. I am assuming they are the boards connected directly to the bottom of the guns, but I am uncertain.

Any guidance in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl

John S

Senior HTF Member
You know what? Mine went out last night completely too.
Only my RED will move horizontally but not vertically.

Dang displays. It must of somehow knew I had ordered a new display for replacement and just decided to die.

The worst part about the new developement, was that I had the darn display sold upon my replacing it. UUHHGG

I think they will elect to get it fixed and reducing the selling price by the same amount as the repair. Not easy hauling a 60" CRT RP to the repair people. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks