Toshiba 62HM95 : PC connection compatibility?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Alex Baxter, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Alex Baxter

Alex Baxter Auditioning

Hi all,

My fraternity recently purchased a Toshiba 62HM95 (DLP) and have in general been very happy with its performance. However, we need to connect a PC to it (briefly at least) later in the year. In the owner's manual, there is a warning symbol four times or so on the different inputs saying "Note: never connect this TV to a personal Computer. This TV is not intended for use with a PC." The warning appears on the firewire and HDMI input pages specifically and once in general (not specifically on S-vid or composite).

So my question is: do I believe the owner's manual? The guys down at Best Buy said that it shouldn't be a big deal, hooking in a PC for a little while. I called Toshiba and the rep was rather unhelpful, only suggesting it was a burn-in problem after I prompted him about it, saying that they have a seperate TV that is inteded for use as a monitor. I can't see how plugging a computer in to S-video is somehow different from having a gamecube plugged in there, and if we are careful about preventing burn-in, I don't know how there will be a problem.

Am I missing something here? Or should I feel free to plug in a PC if I turn down my contrast and be sure not to leave a start menu there for hours on end?

Thanks,
    Alex

2. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

I thought DLP was immune to burn in? ITs just a series of tiny mirriors that move to reflect light through a spinning color wheel. I thought anyways. My DLP front projector has 2 VGA ins that are labled COmputer 1 and Computer 2.

3. Alex Baxter

Alex Baxter Auditioning

Unfortunately the model with actual VGA/DVI input was $500-800 more for the same size =. As a collorary, is it possible to change from VGA to HDMI with an adapter?

4. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Hmmm... you made me go look and my Panny plasma has a similar warning. Hadn't thought about it but what the heck is with that? PC has a DVI output and TV has an HDMI input -- just need the adapter to connect. Am I missing something, too, or are the manufacturers just being coy about what you can really do or?

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Plasma sets are susceptible to burn-in, though newer ones aren't nearly as bad. DLP, LCD, and LCOS sets are not susceptible to burn in.