What's new

Toshiba 62"DLP vs JVC 61"D-ILA (1 Viewer)

kevinNY

Auditioning
I have narrowed my choices down to these two. Currently leaning towards the Toshiba. I would appreciate any experiences/opinions that may help with my decision.

many thanks to all

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin

Two things:

1. DLP in the Toshiba is very good but this is still a color wheel projector and you may see the rainbow effect. I sometimes see it on my 4805 when there are bright small objects on dark screens and I move my eyes down or away from the screen. If I look directly at the screen, I don't see them.

2. The JVC has a chip for each color and thus there are no rainbows. For my money the color, inputs and controls on the JVC are better than the Toshiba.

The problem with rainbows is you might not notice it for two or three months.

John

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It is also estimated that only 20% of the population see rainbows ...

The frequency of seeing rainbows also depends on how fast the color wheel spins and this varies from set to set.

The DLP will have slightly better black levels than the LCOS. The Toshiba is also a bit more calibration friendly than the JVC.

Regards

kevinNY

Auditioning
2 disparate opinions. I guess that this is a reflection of the current state of HDTV. No technoloy is perfect. Each has its pluses and minuses. Thank you for the confirmation.

Kevin

kevinNY

Auditioning
I did it!!! After a year of saving...looking...changing my mind 100 times....I bought the Toshiba! Had to shout out to everyone. For those of you that have spent a lot of time researching etc. you'll know just how I feel. Bought it from TVAuthority.com for 2340.00 delivered. So far so good. I'll let you know once I get it (Next tues.-thurs.)

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks