1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Toshiba 61HX71 vs 57HX81(16:9 vs 4:3)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by khang, Aug 27, 2001.

1. khang

khang Extra

Hi guys
    After weeks of "research". I've decided to buy one of these two sets. I love the theaterwide format(16:9) but my brain keeps telling me I watch most of my program in 4:3. I know this subject has been discussed before bur any "last second, time's running out" comment would be appreciated...thanks

2. Brian Turner

Brian Turner Extra

khang,
    I am in the same boat as you, a 4x3 or a 16x9.
    even though I use 4x3 more than 16x9, I think that I will go with 16x9 and use it in one of the stretch modes, I have heard that Theater Mode 2 is not that bad, check it out for yourself.
    What kind of price are you geting on the Tosh 57HX81?
    Good luck with your choice, Brian. Ottawa.
    ------------------

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hmmm. And, I think I may be going with the 61HX71. But don't believe a word I say about my decision on upgrading my RPTV. So far, I decided to get the following... in order:
    Sony 53HS10, Toshiba 65H80, Philips 60pp9601, Toshiba 57H81, and now the Toshiba 61HX71... when it is released, maybe.
    Once I buy my new RPTV, without a doubt, it WILL be the one RPTV to get for at least a year, or so...? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

4. Eric Paavola

Eric Paavola Auditioning

I have the Toshiba 57H81. I watch 4:3 in TW1 and don't notice any problem. I am very happy that I got a 16:9. Watching DVD's is just the best. I would not want to get a 4:3 that would give me the same size picture when watching DVD's because the set would be too large. I had a hard enough time convincing my significant other that a 57 inch 16:9 would not be to massive. [​IMG]

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

The width of a 61" 4:3 set would be about the same as a 56" 16:9 set but would be taller... yet, a 16:9 DVD image on both of the above sets would look identical...
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

6. Michael St. Clair

7. Costas

Costas Extra

khang,
    Have you seen a 61HX71 yet locally yet? I'm wondering if it will look any better than the H71, and worth the price difference ($300?). I'm still looking for the user manual/specs online, but these sets aren't up on the toshiba.ca/.com sites yet.
    For me, the 4:3 seems to be the better value (same size 16x9, but with a bigger un-stretched 4:3 picture, for the same $).
    Any idea of price yet? I wonder if we can get these at Sears, Costco, or FutureShop and try to pricematch the lowest price found.
    ------------------
    [email protected]hotmail.com

8. khang

khang Extra

In Montreal, the new Toshibas doesn't arrived until September, maybe even late September. I only have the listed price for now but as soon as I can negotiate something, I'll let y'all know. I'll certainly go to all the big-surface stores, but in the end I think I'll end up buying at Kebecson. The service is excellent and they usually match all the prize. If anyone is living in the Montreal area and think about buying a RPTV soon maybe we can form a group and go together for a group prizes?