What's new

Toshiba 61HX71 vs 57HX81(16:9 vs 4:3) (1 Viewer)

khang

Grip
Hi guys
After weeks of "research". I've decided to buy one of these two sets. I love the theaterwide format(16:9) but my brain keeps telling me I watch most of my program in 4:3. I know this subject has been discussed before bur any "last second, time's running out" comment would be appreciated...thanks

khang,
I am in the same boat as you, a 4x3 or a 16x9.
even though I use 4x3 more than 16x9, I think that I will go with 16x9 and use it in one of the stretch modes, I have heard that Theater Mode 2 is not that bad, check it out for yourself.
What kind of price are you geting on the Tosh 57HX81?
Good luck with your choice, Brian. Ottawa.
------------------

J

John Morris

Hmmm. And, I think I may be going with the 61HX71. But don't believe a word I say about my decision on upgrading my RPTV. So far, I decided to get the following... in order:
Sony 53HS10, Toshiba 65H80, Philips 60pp9601, Toshiba 57H81, and now the Toshiba 61HX71... when it is released, maybe.
Once I buy my new RPTV, without a doubt, it WILL be the one RPTV to get for at least a year, or so...?
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Eric Paavola

Auditioning
I have the Toshiba 57H81. I watch 4:3 in TW1 and don't notice any problem. I am very happy that I got a 16:9. Watching DVD's is just the best. I would not want to get a 4:3 that would give me the same size picture when watching DVD's because the set would be too large. I had a hard enough time convincing my significant other that a 57 inch 16:9 would not be to massive.
biggrin.gif

J

John Morris

The width of a 61" 4:3 set would be about the same as a 56" 16:9 set but would be taller... yet, a 16:9 DVD image on both of the above sets would look identical...
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I would not want to get a 4:3 that would give me the same size picture when watching DVD's because the set would be too large. I had a hard enough time convincing my significant other that a 57 inch 16:9 would not be to massive
I have found that as long as the footprint does not change (depth and width), significant others do not care once they have the situation explained to them.
4:3 sets with with equivalent sizes showing 16:9 images (only acceptable if the set has a properly implemented squeeze mode, of course), are only taller[/b} than their 16:9 cousins.
A taller set does not require one to give up any additional floor space.

Costas

Grip
khang,
Have you seen a 61HX71 yet locally yet? I'm wondering if it will look any better than the H71, and worth the price difference ($300?). I'm still looking for the user manual/specs online, but these sets aren't up on the toshiba.ca/.com sites yet.
For me, the 4:3 seems to be the better value (same size 16x9, but with a bigger un-stretched 4:3 picture, for the same $).
Any idea of price yet? I wonder if we can get these at Sears, Costco, or FutureShop and try to pricematch the lowest price found.
------------------
[email protected]

khang

Grip
In Montreal, the new Toshibas doesn't arrived until September, maybe even late September. I only have the listed price for now but as soon as I can negotiate something, I'll let y'all know. I'll certainly go to all the big-surface stores, but in the end I think I'll end up buying at Kebecson. The service is excellent and they usually match all the prize. If anyone is living in the Montreal area and think about buying a RPTV soon maybe we can form a group and go together for a group prizes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks