Toshiba 61HX71 vs 57HX81(16:9 vs 4:3)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by khang, Aug 27, 2001.

1. khang

khang Extra

Hi guys
    After weeks of "research", I've decided to buy one of these two models. I just love the theaterwide format(16:9)but my brain keep telling me I watch most of my program in 4:3. What should I do? I know this subject has been discussed before but any "last second, time's running out" comment would be appreciated...thanks

2. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

OMG!! You absolutely must buy the 16x9!!! I just did, and I too had some doubts..but I decided that eventually all tv will be 16x9, and I watch more DVD than tv (although my wife is opposite..but ohh well she gotta deal with the gray lines). Plus, I havent had first hand experience with the stretching capabilites that the newer widescreen sets have, but Im sure that they will make regular 4x3 picture look ok.
    Plus you are comparing an older model with a newer model tv. I would say at the least, get the newer model! (more features etc.)
    Good Luck!!
    (lemme know what you decide, thanks!)
    Jason K.

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Errr... They are both new models that are just now coming out. Don't let the model #s fool you.

4. tim verry

tim verry Auditioning

You absolutely must buy the hx71! :cool:
    Seriously, I got the 55hx70 and there is just no substitute for a nice big 4:3 image. I don't like watching a stretched picture. The 16:9 image size on my 55" is equivalent to a 50" 16x9 tv. If you do the math, you'll see that a 4:3 set will have a slightly smaller 16:9 picture, but a MUCH bigger 4:3 image to a given 16:9 set. When I got mine I saved several hundred dollars for a bigger picture as well.
    http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi
    In your case, if you get the hx71, you will lose 1" of 16:9, but go from a 46.6" 4:3 image to a 61" 4:3 image.
    with these new models, the 4:3 sets do anamorphic squeeze or raster compression. That means you're seeing EXACTLY the same 16:9 picture on your 4:3 set as you would on a 16:9 set.

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter