What's new

Toshiba 57HX83 - Any Issues or Problems? (1 Viewer)

BarryNS

Stunt Coordinator
The prices on these sets are getting awfully tempting now...and I'm guessing they might be even more so after Christmas.... :emoji_thumbsup:

Probably 75% of my critical viewing with this set will be DVD, remaining 20% high-def once I get an HDTV satellite receiver (come on ExpressVu!!) and maybe 5% my "regular" 4:3 satellite stuff (Simpsons and Speed Channel mostly), where I can live with the "stretch" modes. So are there any known issues or problems with the 57HX83 sets from Toshiba? I did a search and learned a bit about the 540p "upconversion" and non-native support for 480p issues with progressive scan DVD - how big of a deal is that really? I'd prefer a set that actually does 480p for DVD viewing rather than processing the image further, but if it isn't anything particularly bothersome or nasty it's not a big deal...what should I be on the lookout for to see anything "off" caused by the 480p to 540p "upconversion"?

And how is the set with HDTV satellite content?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Keep an eye out for Ghosting/ringing ... that some of the units have in spades.

Varies in intensity from unit to unit.

Regards

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Wow, glad I read this thread. This model Tosh is the one I was looking at. :angry: I_just_can't_win. :frowning:

I really need to learn more about the different kinds of progressive scan.

My Samsung DVD player is progressive scan. I want to hook it up via component inputs to my yet-unpurchased new TV and watch DVDs in all their glory. That's it. It can't be this friggin' hard!!

Rick Faldo

Stunt Coordinator
Barry: You might have the same problem I am having with my Toshiba and HD signals. I PM'd Michael regarding this issue but maybe he could post his reply here. My problem is not with the TV per se but with how it deals with HD siganls. We use Shaw Cable out here. We have access to 4 HD channels through Shaw, that is Seattle CBS, ABC, NBC, and Fox. The problem arises when I tune into the HD channels, they are broadcast in 4:3 HD and I can't stretch the HD signal as the TV reads the signal as true HD, which is supposed to be 16:9. This brings burn in into the mix now. Just bought the new tv and HD box thinking I was finally getting exactly what I needed to watch some quality TV. It appears I am screwed, if you will excuse the language. I got this information just moments ago from the Toshiba customer service rep in TO who says it is a broadcasting problem.
I have no issues with the set itself, everything seems to be good except network channels are atrocious to watch, very poor image quality.

BarryNS

Stunt Coordinator
Wow..."they" (TV/electronics makers, broadcasters, and signal providers) really need to make this whole HDTV thing a lot simpler if they want any sort of mass market take up. I never would have thought of the "4:3 HDTV" issue since I never realized there was such a thing as anything other than 16:9 format for HDTV signals.

I'm not sure what format ExpressVu is carrying their HDTV content in...??

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

... The 4:3 material shown on the HD channels is simply upconverted at the source ... to 1080i ... with black bars slapped on the sides.

The cable box does not differentiate between 16:9 and 4:3 as all it sees is a 1080i signal or a 720P signal.

For non-HD material ... use the S-video output of the cable box into the TV ... via input 1 or something.

Regards

Rick Faldo

Stunt Coordinator
Barry: I don't think the problem is with the cable/satellite provider but with the networks as they are the ones broadcasting the signals to the providers. As Michael says in his reply, the signals are simply upconverted to HD quality signals, which has no bearing on the picture format I guess. Blows me away as well. I guess if you don't want to have to deal with the dreaded burn in issures, stay away from current HD programming as it is not wide screen format.
I think I may have found this out the hard way.

BarryNS

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm so is there any network HDTV programming that is actually 16:9 format and carried as such by ExpressVu?

I suppose another way to look at it is the Tosh TV itself is great, but I might as well hold off on an HDTV satellite receiver until there is more 16:9 content out there...which makes the set's performance with regular 4:3 material - and the "stretch" modes to avoid burn in issues - more important in the near term, unless I decide it's relegated to just DVD viewing only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks