Toshiba 57hx81 vs. Pioneer SD-533HD5

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt AR, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Matt AR

Matt AR Agent

I am in the market for my first HDTV bigscreen tv and I have my choices narrowed down (I think) to the Toshiba 57hx81 and the Pioneer SD-533HD5. I have found these online for about $2800 delivered. So, I have two questions: 1) Which (if either) is the better set for under $3000 and 2) Has anyone ordered anything of this magnitude over the internet. I am a little nervous about doing it.

I found these prices at Cyberteria A/V. Has anyone shopped there before, and if so, were they satisfied?

If you have any tips or suggestions, I would be happy to hear them.

Matt

2. Matt AR

Matt AR Agent

Hello?

3. Mike Farrington

Mike Farrington Auditioning

I do not personally know which TV is better but there is a pretty good article in the Jan 2002 Sound & Vision magazine that compares the Toshiba 50HX81 (its little brother), Pioneer SD-533HDS and Hitachi 53SWX10B. The article is online at http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hot...leID=61&page=1. After reading the article and the web sites of the manufacturers I have come to the conclusion that any top of the line sets from either manufacturer is going to be great. If it is any help the Toshiba set is from their Cinema Series and over the years Toshiba has put great care in what goes into this series of TVs. I myself own a 9 year old 32" Cinema Series and it still looks as good now as it did when new. Maybe better because I have used the Video Essentials DVD to adjust it.
    This leads to one other tip. The best thing you can do with what ever set you do get, make sure you have it professionally calibrated. I'd wait a few months to let everything settle in before having it done. From everything I've seen or heard this procedure can make a big differance.
    I am not sure about the online shopping. $2800 is a lot of money to spend. What kind of service can they provide. Will they be in business tomorrow. Check them out and try to pay by credit card (credit card company will go to bat for you if there is a problem).
    Hope some of this helps. Good luck.