What's new

Toshiba 57HX81 or Mitsu 65819? (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

I was intent on getting the Toshiba until my wife objected to the silver and gray front, and I found this deal on the 65819 Mitsu... $2975 delivered, from an authorized dealer. The toshi will cost me about $2800 delivered.
Should I take the leap and try to get the bigger Mitsu, or go with my gut and get the Toshiba?
Thanks for your help!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Merc,
That's a good deal on the 65819, the best offer I got so far is about $400.00 more than your offer with zero payment due for a year. I'll go with the Mitsu, if it was me.
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
SIZE IS BETTER! Get the Mits! It has some minor bugs (red push) that can easily be corrected. I also objected to the Toshba cabinets. I once had a Panasonic (56") that I returned, and I did quite a bit of research/testing searching for a replacement. I consider the Mits, Hitachi, and Pioneer to be of higher quality than Toshiba and Panasonic.
Check the hometheaterspot.com for more info on the Mits!
PS - I had decided on the 55" Mits...until I saw the 65" right next to it. BIGGER IS BETTER!!!
[Edited last by Marc Alexander on October 02, 2001 at 06:29 PM]

J

John Morris

First, thank you to Robert and Mark for their feedback and opinions.
Robert: it is the cabinet and the good deal that really has attracted me back to the Mitsu
Mark: yes, I have been reading and posting on the Spot for some time now, but thanks for the tip anyway.
Today, I spent over two hours at a local B&M store. I took my avia DVD and my SVHS player along with a tape of various things like football, baseball and TV shows taped off of my cable. After carefully tweaking three sets, a Mitsu 55908, 55819 and the Toshiba 57HX81, I now have some personal preferences based on what I saw.
For HDnet viewing from Direct TV hookup:
1. Mitsu 55908
2. Toshiba 57HX81
3. Mitsu 55819
The Mitsu slightly edged the Toshi... it just seemed like the image was cleaner, sharper and more 3D like... but only slightly so.
For Progressive Scan DVD playback via component inputs:
1. Three way tie... if anything I might have very slightly preferred the Mitsu 55908 due to its' superior non-glare screen. The Toshiba also supposedly has one of these screens but it is not anywhere as good as the one on the Mitsu Diamond series.
For cable or SVHS playback via S-video inputs:
1. Toshiba 57HX81
2. Mitsu 55908
3. Mitsu 55819
The stretch mode on the Toshiba was slighly less irritating than the ones on the Mitsu sets. The line doubler seemed best on the Toshi, with the Mitsu 908 a bit behind. Artifacting and exageration of some bad cable signals was really bothersome but most so on the 55819.
After comparing the three sets, I cannot consider getting the 65819 since after a while the artifacting and shimmering during movement became really apparent compared to the other two sets, especially the Toshiba which comparitively, was rock solid. If this bothered me on a 55 inch set, I can imagine it would be much worse on a 65 inch set. So, since I cannot afford to buy a Mitsu 55908 set, I guess I am back to buying the Toshiba set.
I guess my wife is just gonna have to get used to the gray and silver front after all...........?
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!
[Edited last by John Morris on October 02, 2001 at 07:02 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks