1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Toshiba 57HX81 Cinema Series HD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon Reid, May 22, 2002.

1. Gordon Reid

Gordon Reid Extra

Saw one of these units at Video Only today. Screen was impressive at any angle. Has IDSC-Pro (Intelligent Digital Scan conversion) 540p/1080i.

It has the quick locate for external hardware such as DVD that I was looking for.

Anyone have one of these? Is anyone aware of any problems before I plunk down 3,499.99 for it?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon Reid

2. Ross Waite

Ross Waite Stunt Coordinator

Hi Gordon,
    Quote: "Is anyone aware of any problems before I plunk down 3,499.99 for it?"
    Yes...THE PRICE.
    First, I want to confirm...this is the Toshiba HD series 57HX81, right?
    I have one of these and I absolutely love it. However, you should do some research here and at www.hometheaterspot.com. There has been a lot of discussion regarding the pro and cons of the upconversion to 540p. Personally, I don't see any conversion artifacts. I love this display.
    Now, back to the price...The only way I can justify that price is if you live in Canada. I would expect to pay between $2,500 and $2,800 US for this unit. I would recommend that you shop around.
    Good luck.
    -Ross

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

You may, like me, want to wait a couple of months & get the 57H82 (June/July) or the 57HDX82 (Aug/Sept). The new sets do 480p natively.

4. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

5. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Juan, the only proof I can give you is the spec list for the new 50H72 @ Best Buy. You'll notice that the set still upconverts 480i to 540p, but leaves 480p alone.