Toshiba 57HX81 Cinema Series HD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon Reid, May 22, 2002.

1. Gordon Reid

Gordon Reid Extra

Saw one of these units at Video Only today. Screen was impressive at any angle. Has IDSC-Pro (Intelligent Digital Scan conversion) 540p/1080i.

It has the quick locate for external hardware such as DVD that I was looking for.

Anyone have one of these? Is anyone aware of any problems before I plunk down 3,499.99 for it?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon Reid

2. Ross Waite

Ross Waite Stunt Coordinator

Hi Gordon,
    Quote: "Is anyone aware of any problems before I plunk down 3,499.99 for it?"
    Yes...THE PRICE.
    First, I want to confirm...this is the Toshiba HD series 57HX81, right?
    I have one of these and I absolutely love it. However, you should do some research here and at www.hometheaterspot.com. There has been a lot of discussion regarding the pro and cons of the upconversion to 540p. Personally, I don't see any conversion artifacts. I love this display.
    Now, back to the price...The only way I can justify that price is if you live in Canada. I would expect to pay between $2,500 and $2,800 US for this unit. I would recommend that you shop around.
    Good luck.
    -Ross

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

You may, like me, want to wait a couple of months & get the 57H82 (June/July) or the 57HDX82 (Aug/Sept). The new sets do 480p natively.

4. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

5. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Juan, the only proof I can give you is the spec list for the new 50H72 @ Best Buy. You'll notice that the set still upconverts 480i to 540p, but leaves 480p alone.