What's new

Toshiba 57HX81 and component inputs (1 Viewer)

Wes Stover

Stunt Coordinator
The manual (page 8&9 in the sidebar) indicates that you should not connect a DTV or DVD by both S-Video and Component inputs at the same time. What happens if you do? Could this cause damage to the TV?

A scenario that I am thinking about is that maybe the upconversion done by an HDTV STB may not be as good as the linedoubler in the TV. I would at that point want to feed an interlaced signal to the TV for normal DTV programs and the switch to the component inputs when veiwing HDTV material.

Mike Tondreault

Auditioning
Wes, I was hoping someone would answer this, but to no avail. I will be trying it tomorrow. I have a Tosh 50H81 hooked to a DST-3000 and would like to see what the box does through an s-video as opposed to the doubler in the box. I'll get back to you, if not PM me.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The Tosh box will not output video through the component video and S-video at the same time, so I don't see how any harm could be done to the tv. I have a tosh box hooked up to a Sony HW40 via both S and Component. The set's doubling and stretch modes are better than the boxe's for 480i material received by the box, especially on the more compressed direcTV channels.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
I have my HD stb connect to both component and S vidio..As mentioned no STB can output thru the component and S vidio at the same time..You will have no problem if you connect both..

Wes Stover

Stunt Coordinator
I was trying to understand why there is this warning in the sidebar on two separate pages in the manual? I am aware that to connect to both types of inputs that different Video inputs would be used (ie. Video1 for S-Video and Video 4 for Component), thus my confusion!

Mike I

Supporting Actor
I think you just answered your question..What the manual is warning is make sure you do not connect two different lines to the same input...If you are connecting your HD STB the component is connected to one input and the S vidio to another input..This would cause no problems at all..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks