Toshiba 57HDX82 Vs Sony KP57WS500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Walker Jr, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Ron Walker Jr

Ron Walker Jr Auditioning

Price is comparable and I've done alot of research on each. Now I'm torn. Which is the better tv? Anyone have any clue as to where I can determine which set provides the better picture in terms of overall brightness and sharpness? It seems everyone I talk to loves their respective set. I've heard of problems with each set (Sony's picture turning green, Tosh speakers have hiss, etc) but I imagine that's the case with all sets out there one way or another. I want the best possible picture. THanks

2. Kyle P

Kyle P Extra

I bought the 57HDX82 after extensively looking at the offerings in this price / size category. I thought the Tosh had a more natural looking picture. I don't seem to get the hiss from my speakers but I use my receiver and surround speakers for all but the news. The Sony and others seemed to have an artificial quality to them. I am in the graphic arts business and calibrate monitors to match printed pieces on a regular basis so I may be looking at things a bit differently. I also liked the Toshiba's slimmer profile. Just my opinion.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Toshiba's display of DVD images is usually slightly muddier / blurrier than the Sony.

Regards

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I believe Toshiba has the better color fidelity; Sony pushes the blue, but some people prefer the cooler picture. Reportedly, Tosh does better with mediocre cable/satellite signals, but with an excellent signal the Sony will be sharper (otherwise tends toward graininess).

Tosh's hiss, Sony's flicker...they're both defects that the manufacturers have to fix if your set is afflicted with them.

You'll find very happy owners of either set!

Jan

5. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I too struggled with this decision.. ended up with the 57HDX82 mostly because of my brother has a 57H82 that is one year old and the picture is great.

Mine picture is fabulous with DVD's but my cable all the sudden on all TV's is not good. I don't know why I've checked all the wiring. Anyway I'll be going with satellite in the spring.

To be honest with you everyone says the stretch of the Tosh is better but my wife still doesn't like it on mine. I like it fine.

It has been getting better the more we watch it - I've had it for two weeks.

I could have made the other decision though. But, I'm happy with the Tosh.

Mike

6. EduardoBonifaz

EduardoBonifaz Stunt Coordinator

My friend, I´m a happy owner of the sony model (in 51"), i´m very pleased about the picture quality, the bulit-in line doubler does a fine job, DVD´s look astounding, and if you have sat tv or a decent cable signal you won´t be disspointed

7. Hal_J

Hal_J Agent

regarding speaker hiss and flicker...

i had narrowed my choices to these two sets as well. i was all set to pull the trigger this spring. then i read about the flicker, and thought, 'oh forget it. one more friggin thing to go wrong! im going to wait another model year for this to get cleared up.'

that said, if i get one of these and it flickers, i just call the tech and say, 'hey bub, come see this flicker!' and i get a replacement for free?' i'd like to hear from people who have had the flicker issue. (im off to do a search on it right now...)

thanks,

hal

8. Ron Walker Jr

Ron Walker Jr Auditioning

Well today I went to actually look at these sets and I'll tell you I fell in love with the Toshiba. But a new contender, the Hitachi 57swx20 has emerged. That one looks sweet as well and as far as my research can tell has almost no problems to speak of. Its a really hard decision now...

9. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I've got a 51ws500. It flickered. Got the CRTs replaced. The tech didn't do a good job with geometry so I'm in the middle of sorting that out.

Sony "grain"- This was easy to fix in the service menu. If you're willing to do a little tweaking I wouldn't base my decision on this.