Toshiba 57HDX82 Picture Distortion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by daneli, Dec 5, 2002.

1. daneli

daneli Extra

I tried posting this to other forums with no success so if some of you have read this I apologize for the repeat....

I noticed on my 57HDX82, when viewing the Avia 20-30 IRE gray fields there is a fair amount of distortion in the picture (it almost appears to be flickering). Trying to analyze the problem it seems to be most noticable when the DVD player is in progressive mode and mostly disappears when in interlaced mode (it is still there just not near as noticable).

Also I think a related issue is the Avia convergence screens have bumps in the vertical lines (all vertical lines) which again looking really close appears to be noise causing the lines to look bent.

The testing I have done so far:

1) New Power strip
    2) Isolated Power
    3) Switching from Progressive to Interlaced
    4) Different DVD player (Tried an older Interlaced Panny with same results as the new player in Interlaced mode)
    5) Removed all inputs except DVD player
    6) All user settings off and on (SVM, DNR, Auto/Film, Etc...)

The only thing that made a noticable difference was the switch from P to I... The Interlaced still showed the distortion, but you really have to look for it....

I have been searching high and low for a post that I read a while back relating the VPOS service mode parameter and noise in the picture. It wasn't the VPOS problem of old but an issue were if the screen wraps around and the circuitry may be working to hard to hold the image? I noticed my VPOS parameter was set at 01 on the new set and on my older 50H81 the setting was 72? Am I on to something here??? or can anyone else post some things I might try?

Thanks for any help - DanEli

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    VPos setting shouldnt matter and is set specific.

Is is noticable in your viewing or is it purely on test patterns. If only on TP dont worry about it.

Can you send me some pics??

Regards

Gregg

3. daneli

daneli Extra

Gregg,

Thanks for the reply...

Yes, I am seeing the issue in normal DVD viewing but not until the Avia screen pointed it out...

I sent you an e-mail with the pic...

DanEli

4. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Just bought exactly the same set on the weekend - no problem I can see. Have you tried going back to purely factory settings in your setup menu? What ;type of DVD player is it? And are you running it through a receiver first?

5. daneli

daneli Extra

It's a Panasonic CP72K. The 5 Disc Changer version of the pannie's most popular RP82. It is connected to the TV via AR component cables.

Oh, that is another thing I tried a different set of component cables and got the exact same results....

DanEli

6. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Do you mind my asking how much you paid for it? As I said I just bought one on the weekend. I had a 46" Zenith proj. screen before. What is it like hooked up to an HDTV signal? I only have mine set up for regular cable.

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

There is normally a certain amount of 'noise' in the lower IRE levels on all sets that I've seen. Without seeing your set though, I obviously can't say whether what you're seeing is normal or not.

I always thought that this was caused by electrical line noise. I've not connected a power conditioner or suitable UPS to confirm this though.

8. daneli

daneli Extra

When I first noticed it I thought it was normal... Horizontal flickering type noise on the lower IRE patterns. I then noticed the "bumps" in the Avia convergence screens.

Every vertical line in screen appears to have bumps in it. A closer look makes the lines appear that way due to noise. I know this is not normal compared to other sets...

DanEli