What's new

Toshiba 57H84 Now Shipping (1 Viewer)

RussGlorioso

Auditioning
I don't know if this is old news, but I had ordered a Tosh 57H84 from onecall a few weeks ago and I recieved a call to confirm that they are now in stock and shipping. I would expect a lot of the newer models are also making their way out. I'm excited as this is my first venture into HDTV.

Russ

RussGlorioso

Auditioning
After plenty of waiting on the freight company, I finally received the set Thursday evening. The shipping packaging used risers so that it could be moved with a forklift, which made it really easy for me to move across my hardwood floors until I got it in the final location.

As widely suggested one of the first things I did OTOB was to lower the contrast which was initially set at either 80 or 90. I did some minor fiddling with the picture to get it to look initially O.K. After a couple hours I did the autoconvergence and plan on doing the 56 pt. convergence sometime later today. With just these few adjustments, I have been very pleased with the PQ. SD over Cox Digital Cable in Northern Virginia is acceptable. I think I had my expectations set so low for SD, that I was pleasantly suprised. The stretch modes are pretty good, with my favorite being TheaterWide 1, which tries to keep the center as close to possible and progressively gets wider. There are 2 other TheaterWide settings and Full and Natural. As primetime rolled around I got to witness some of my first true HD programming with CSI Miami and CSI. Since this is my first HDTV, I was pretty much blown away. However, after flipping over to Discovery HD, I realized how much better it can get. For some reason the cable company doesn't think I have the expanded service so I have to wait until Saturday until I can get ESPN HD and iNHD.

All of these opinions are basically initial reactions, but so far so good, especially for a set that can be had for quite a bargain. I haven't had a chance to test the DVD performance or do any extensive calibration. Any questions, comments, or suggestions are welcome.

Russ

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for replying....

I'm interested in how you find it deals with non-anamorphic DVDs (16x9 but without the "enhanced for" bit :) ).

Does the Toshiba have a setting that deals well with these?

David

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the market for a 46" set and I've pretty much decided on the Toshiba. There are a lot of model #s: 46H83, 46HX83 and now the new 46H84 which is not in stock everywhere yet. Anyone know the major differences between the H83 and HX83? Should I grab one now or wait a few weeks for the H84?

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the market for a 46" set and I've pretty much decided on the Toshiba. There are a lot of model #s: 46H83, 46HX83 and now the new 46H84 which is not in stock everywhere yet. Anyone know the major differences between the H83 and HX83? Should I grab one now or wait a few weeks for the H84?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks