Toshiba 57H84 a steal at 1999.99 CAD or 1600USD???

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ryan Peddle, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I'm contemplating buying a new TV and am looking at two sets right now. The Panasonic 47X54 47" CRT for $1999 CAD or the Toshiba 57H84 on sale for $1999.99 CAD. For you guy south of the border that comes out to approximatley $1600 USD.

With the Toshiba being on sale, I'm wondering if it is a steal at that price and that I should buy that one since I will be saving so much money.

Since everyone will ask me my use, I'll go into that.

I will mainly be using it for DVD and Xbox gaming. I only have SD cable right now, but my 32" direct view toshiba will handle that. HDTV is still donw the road for me.

My seating didtance is about 8' away, but when I move into a house, it will be greater than that, so not having to upgrade to a larger set later is relatively important.

Any Advice?

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The Toshiba has a slightly weaker image when tweaked out compared to the Panasonic. The Panny can achieve a much better grayscale ...

Mind you ... this does not mean the Toshiba is unwatchable because it is far from it.

Regards

3. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

The 57" Toshiba and 47" Panasonic at the same price? It's no contest! The Toshiba is well-recognized as one of the best CRT RPTV's as many previous postings on this board will show. I have a three-year-old 57H81, which I paid a little over $3,000 for and we have been well please with it. The performance on DVD and HD over-the-air material is outstanding!

I haven't seen or heard anyone previous to the last posting say the Toshiba is weak compared to a Panasonic. Look for yourself at both if possible and make up your own mind. It's hard comparing a 47" and 57", but I guarantee you will not be sorry for the larger screen size. The viewing distance of 8' is fine!

A 57" HDTV is a steal!! Buy it!

4. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

The needle is starting to sway towards the toshiba. I am a big fan of toshiba and have owned a 32" Direct view for the last 8 years and it is used and abused by the amount of time it is in use. I know uses for a projection tv have to be different and for the most part it will be used for dvd and xbox, with some sd cable use when the Toronto Raptors have a game or when CSI is on.

I think I can forsee a large 57" toshiba in my living room very soon.

Any other thought?

5. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

wow Micheal, I did not expect that about Toshiba especially compared to the Panny. I have been considering now the 51HX84 since I have been waiting over a month for my 34HFX84.

Do you think then that I should go for the 53" Panny?

6. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The Panasonic can be calibrated a bit better than the Toshiba. Note that there are no perfect TV's ... and there are "cheap" aspects about the Panasonic too ... like an unpainted interior ... all beige particle board ...

For whatever reason the grayscale accuracy on the Panasonics is far more linear from bright to dark than the Toshiba sets that tend to dip in the midrange. There is also more of a fear of slight ghosting in Toshiba sets that has plagued them for many years and I still see it on too many ... (not fixable)

In the grand scheme of things ... think of it like giving a Toshiba a grade of 86% where as the Panasonic is at 89% ...

Would one be disappointed in the Toshiba ? Heck no ... and they are really easy to calibrate in my eye ... while the Panasonics although straight forward take much longer ...

If it were me ... I'd probably gravitate toward the Panasonic.

Regards

7. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I don't think that the x54 made from particle board anymore, maybe only the base, where the guts are, such as the speakers.

As I remember correctly, the casing where the guns reflect off the mirrors, bounces off of those black coated plastic. The black lining helps a lot with the blacks and any reflection inside.

8. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The wooden base is not painted black at all ...

Regards

9. Antonio_B

Antonio_B Stunt Coordinator

I would not suggest you to go with the HX84.
    I had a 57H84 for 1 month and i returned it for an older model which is the 57HX82 for some "unwatchable" issues.

"HX82" apparently have better tubes than the newer "H84" models.