Toshiba 57H83

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ravinder, May 12, 2004.

1. Ravinder

Ravinder Auditioning

I have been researching on which projection TV to buy for quite some time now. I have made the decision to purchase Toshiba Theaterwide 57H83. Consumer Reports magazine has recently rated it #1 in projection TVs. However, some of the reviews regarding 57H83 on Amazon.com are not encouraging. People are saying that it goes kaput very soon.

I am looking for feedback from forum members who own 57H83.
    Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Consumer Reports does not exactly do very thorough testing of the TV to make their determination. They fiddle with the controls and that really is about it.

No calibration to speak of ...

Regards

3. Ravinder

Ravinder Auditioning

Michael,

The Consumer Reports website states that most of the TVs had ordinary performance out of the box but needed calibration to get good results. Now, are they referring to 'professional calibration' or calibration done by tweaking some controls, I don't know.

I would be interested in comments from folks who own this unit -- whether it is a good or bad choice.

4. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

I do know that Home Theater magazine ranked the Toshiba #1 in their recent rear projection shootout.

5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

FYI, the 57H84 will be out in June. Very little has changed, but pricing may be lower.

6. CurtisM

CurtisM Auditioning

I've had the 57HX83 since December '03 and have had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. I would recommend a professional calibration to get the most out of this TV. I used one of the great guys at LionAV.com and couldn't be happier with the calibration results. This is one great TV. Good Luck.

7. Joe*C

Joe*C Extra

JohnnyG, do you happen to know when the 57HX84 will be coming out?

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Nothing firm yet. One sheet says June, the other says TBA.

9. Ravinder

Ravinder Auditioning

Thanks everyone!

10. Doug J

Doug J Auditioning

I've had the 57H83 since mid March and have had no issues with it at all. I've been very impressed with performance and am enjoying it a lot. But the tv I upgraded from was a 10 yr old 27". So, everything looks good compared to that. I got it from Best Buy when they were running a good sale on it and threw in a $100 gift card. I compared it to all of the other rptv's in their store and the toshiba had the best picture in my mind. Hope that helps.

11. Ravinder

Ravinder Auditioning

Thanks, Doug.

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

The 57H83 was at the top of my list for a while before I made a decision. I emailed a few ISF guys and they all told me to go with the Mits and I did just that. When none of them would recommend the 57H83 I took note.

Apparantly they have fixed the white line issue as I haven't heard of anyone as of the last 2 months moaning about it.