toshiba 57h83 vs 57hx83

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Abe Rodrigue, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Abe Rodrigue

Abe Rodrigue Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys-
    First off, I am a complete newbie so go easy on me. I am building my first HT system and have some questions on TV's. I pretty much made up my mind on a toshiba. Either the 57h83 or the 57hx83. My questions are what are the big differences between the two. I have done some research and found these differences:

Adjustable Dfine on the HX compared to just Dfine on the H

Separate Woofers and Tweeters on the HX

Theatershield on the HX

cinema series monitor on the HX and theaterwide on the H

TheaterNet icon IR control system on the HX

I really don't understand what these features mean, so anyone who can put them into laymans terms I would be forever grateful.

Also is the HX worth the extra $?
    One more thing, I would have to drive over 100 miles (or buy it on-line) to get to a dealer that carries the HX.

Thanks so much in advance.

2. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

3. Abe Rodrigue

good link, thanks David, and I even understood most of it.
    Does this mean that the "H" series has a regular CRT? If what they say is true (which we know it has to be because it is on the internet[​IMG] ) why would anyone buy the regular model?

Also, do any of the other features make that much of a differance in the televison?

One last question: is it worth the 200+ mile round trip to get one?

Thanks again.

4. David Parrish

The H series has lesser CRTs, but maybe not as bad as the regular ones the link talks about. I honestly don't know.

I've seen lots of videophiles chime in on the HX series either in this forum or AVSforum.com. They always say get the hx series. I'm overall happy with my hx series tv. It does have a flaw, though, as do all tvs. Do a search on "white bands" in avsforum for more info. The white bands flaw appears to be a common Toshiba trait. So far, it hasn't bothered me enough to call Toshiba, but I might someday.

5. Abe Rodrigue

Thanks for the help. Now the question is it worth the extra 500 dollars for the hx? I can get the theater wide for around 1700 bucks. such tough desisions........

6. CurtisM

CurtisM Auditioning

I've got the HX series and couldn't be happier with it. I say it is worth the extra money and the extra 200 miles to get it. Be sure to have it professionally calibrated after the initial break-in period of about 100-200 hours of operation.

Also, don't let the white line scare you off. Toshiba has recently come up with a fix (adjustment by a certified tech to the PC board in the TV) that gets rid of the white line. It's just in the beginning stages, but a service bulletin is in the works and you'll soon be able to be white line free. I've also read that this years models XXHX84 series will be white line free.

Good Luck. I love my Toshiba. Hope you will have access to DVD and HiDef programming. This set ROCKS!!

7. David Parrish

Wow, awesome news! Can I get this fix done now or do I have to wait for the bulletin?

8. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I purchased the 65hdx about a year ago. I love it. I watch everything in widescreen, even 4:3 tv shows. It has the best stretch mode and you don't notice it.

9. CurtisM

CurtisM Auditioning

As far as I know the fix is only being performed in Canada at the moment. However, it appears ToshibaUSA will be doing them as well. I'm not sure how long all this bureaucracy takes, but I assume it will be sometime this summer. Good Luck.

10. Abe Rodrigue

Thanks guys-
    I think I have made up my mind and will probablly go with the HX. It is still a few weeks off, so If think of anything else, don't be afraid to chime in.
    Thanks again.

11. Abe Rodrigue

resurected forum:

One last question for everyone- Are theses two tv's exactly the same on the outside dimmension wise? I am having a face front built out of oak for the front of the entertainment system and the only tv that is local in the theaterwide to get the mesurements off of. I know that the highth, width, weight are all the same, but how about the screens, are they the same distance off the floor? (Are the screens in exactly the same postions and the same size on both TV's?) Kind of a dumb question, but I need to know the information or I might end up with a screen partially covered with wood. Thanks everyone!