Toshiba 57h83, some dvds not in full mode

Discussion in 'Displays' started by favian, Oct 13, 2003.

1. favian

favian Auditioning

I just got my Toshiba 57hx83, I have a Pioneer 434 dvd player using the component cables. I can't figure out why some movies such as U571 or Gladiator still have black bars on the top and bottom but others such as Band of Brothers play in full widescreen without any bars.
    I have the dvd set to 16:9. The tv automatically detects the source so it switches to the appropriate viewing mode, I can switch the movies to get ri of the bars but it does'nt look 100% when I get rid of the bars. Any ideas? Is it the dvd's themselves or some setting?

Also can anyone tell me should I have the dvd set to Interlace, progressive or auto progressive.

Thanks

Favian

2. WadeB

WadeB Stunt Coordinator

Favian:

DVDs of films shot in a 2:35:1 aspect ratio will still have black bars on a 16x9 display. They will be a lot smaller than if you were using a 4x3 display. It's the only way to preserve the OAR of the larger format films. They all look great on my 46h83. Enjoy!

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Normally you would set the DVD player to progressive, but I am told that the Pioneer 434 specifically has such poor interlaced to progressive conversion that the picture will probably be better using Interlace and the TV will do a better conversion to progressive.

(All DVD players start by decoding the DVD video to interlace, almost all HDTV's and progressive scan TV's when they accept incoming interlaced video convert it to progressive.)

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

These days, even a $100 Progressive scan DVD player will outperform that pioneer 434 unit.

Regards

5. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit