1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Toshiba 57H82 or Samsung HCM 5525W?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Shelly, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

I went to Best Buy again with the intentions of buying the Samsung 5525W 55" RPTV. When I looked last week they had the Samsung sitting next to a Phillips and a Mitsubishi sets. Not only was the Samsung cheaper but I thought the picture looked better. Today they had a Toshiba 57H82 sitting next to the Samsung and this time I thought the Toshiba looked alot better. Of coarse the Toshiba is $300 more. I also liked the fact that the Toshiba is not only 2 inches larger but almost 3 1/2 inches shallower in cabinet depth. I also thought the Toshiba had less red push. Of coarse the glare on the Toshiba was alot worse then the Samsung.

Interestingly the opinion on Toshiba sets seems more mixed then on the Samsung's. People who own Samsung really like them. It also has been mentioned that Toshiba has done some things to cut cost that many people don't like. The extra $300 is not really a problem but it is more then budgeted.

I know it is like comparing apples to oranges but the choice is so hard.

Chris

2. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

After I typed my post I researched the 57H82. Older Toshiba's were not as highly rated. This sounds like a very good set and is much better then the Samsung. Since my home theater room is 13' by 12' I will use the shallow cabinet and extra 2" of the Toshiba to my advantage. With todays creative financing I don't think $300 will be an issue in the long run.

Chris

3. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

hi chris,
    prior to investing in a hdtv which i did two years ago when i decided to buy one of the tosh h80 models, i did alot of investigating.

at that time the 2 highest rated sets were the pioneer Elite and the toshiba. but things change and if i were buying now i would start from scatch.

here is an example. BEST BUY is having there grand opening in Canada complete with specials. they were advertising a 57" Samsung for $2000 can about $1400 us. sounds great!!

BUT there is one major consideration the samsung only has 1000 lines of rez as per there website. my toshiba has 1600

NEVER NEVER NEVER JUDGE A SET BY HOW IT LOOKS ON THE SHOWROOM FLOOR!!

i suggest you post some questions with the ISF group. they work on these sets all the time and are an invaluable asset when judging ultimate PQ.

Back to the Samsung, i'm not putting the set down, i'm just suggesting that you get what you pay for.

goodluck
    peter m.

4. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

I have pretty much decided to go with the Toshiba. My door into my home theater room is only 29 inches wide. The Samsung is 28 5/8 inches deep. It would be very hard to get this in without scratching something. The Toshiba is only 24 inches deep so it will fit right in with room to spare. Plus the screen is 2 inches bigger. You can tell the Toshiba is slightly larger when the 2 sets side by side.

When looking at the 2 pictures I really could not see any difference in resolution. It could have been the video source though.

One thing that really bothered me about the Samsung was the convergence. When I first looked at it the red was shifted to the right a little. I tweaked it along with the color and brightness levels. When I stopped by a few days later the color and brightness levels were the same but the red was shifted to the right again. A customer could have played with it but I don't know.

Because of the depth of the Samsung and the spotty convergence I have decided to go Toshiba for sure. It is only $300 more anyway. I can live with this but if the difference was more I would still go with the Samsung. It is negligable if you can see the difference at home and the convergence could be the floor model or nothing.

I am still undecided if I will buy locally or not. I am really getting sick of B&M stores. I was at Best Buy yesterday and a salesman was not even seen for 30 minutes. I started to tweak both the Samsung and Toshiba sets and person comes up and said "If you don't know what you are doing don't play with the settings". I promply walked out shortly after that. It turns out it was the security guy working the front end. The only other store in town that sells Toshiba is not very reputable and is like swimming with sharks everytime you go in. Best Buy does have the best prices so I might try another Best Buy.

I was all set to order from OneCall with free shipping but they are located in Spokane. Since I live in Washington State OneCall would have to charge me sales tax. J&R does not carry Toshiba RPTV's.

Chris

5. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

OneCall did well by me, and your local B&M would charge sales tax, too, right? I really like my Tosh, but then, most people like their RPTV whatever the brand. The shallower cabinet can indeed be a real plus once you get it into the room if you're short on space, as I am.

Jan

6. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

hey Jan,

The tax rate in Spokane is less then the tax rate here in Seattle. OneCall is still cheaper even charging sales tax by about $100. I think I can figure out how to get it downstairs myself and save the $100. I will borrow my 15 year old nephew and a dolly from work. Yesterday when checking the back panel of the Toshiba at Best Buy I was able to lift it with not much trouble. Its awkward though it will take more then 1 person to move. Hopefully it is not raining on the day of arrival because I will have to remove it from the box to get it into the back door of my basement. If it is I might have to find a big piece of plastic or something.

It's still possible to get damaged in shipping but going from Spokane to Seattle is less risky then going from say New York to Seattle.

I am going to jump on this over the next few days so I can enjoy all the great movies coming out on DVD over the next few months. This is a popular RPTV and is going fast. If I wait another few weeks it might be hard to get until after Christmas. I heard Christmas time is the worst because of low inventories.

Chris