What's new

Toshiba 57H81 (1 Viewer)

Jim Can

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody have any experience with this TV? Best buy has it on clearance this week for $2499 and I was thinking about getting one. Is this model being replaced with a better one? If anyone has this TV please reply with your opinion of it. Thanks

Chet Hayes

Agent
The new Toshiba model, 57H82 is starting to ship and you can get it at onecall for about $2300 including shipping, so I don't think you're looking at any great deal.

The biggest difference is that the new model is DVI/DHCP upgradable. I believe this will require a service call.

There is uncertainty as to what HD material will be copy protected by DHCP in the future. Without DHCP, you may be unable to see at least some material at 720 or 1080i. And the nature of the spec precludes an external box, even a set top box, from being used to get around it.

So, without a substantial discount, I would not buy a display that does not have dvi or the ability to upgrade.

I also heard some early reports that the 480 upconversion process might be somewhat better on the new models.

As Chet Hayes mentioned, replacement model for 2002-03 57H82 is already out in the market and is cheaper in addition to DVI upgradeability.
Apparently, there is no or little evidence of 540p upconversion artifacts and ghosting on x82 models unlike the x81s. See this article @ Keohi HDTV.
Many initial reports indicates new sets are superior in picture quality over last year's (including HX81s) models. They also have (supposedly) better/longer lasting CRTs that were used in HX81s.
IMHO, unless you get the 57H81 for a real bargain, it is definitely worth to get the 57H82.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks