What's new

Toshiba 57h81 vs. 57hx81 (1 Viewer)

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
My loacal dealer (A&B television) here in Austin has both these televisions, and Sears had the 57h81. If I went to sears I can get the 57h81 for just over 2800 after tax and warranty. If I want the 57HX81 (which I really do), I can get it here with no negotiation for $3312 with a 5 year warranty.
Now I have not tried any negotiation for a better price for the HX series mostly because they aren't on the floor at my local shop. Actually, they are getting them tomorrow and I have been to sears and they will pricematch an internet price for me. Which should I go for. Do you think I can get the HX price down, or is that impossible. Are the differences in the 2 sets worth the extra 500 bucks?
------------------
Have you seen my audio rack?

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Trey,
The prices you gave were after tax, with warrenty? Are the warrenties about the same? Do those prices include in-house delivery? Avoid curbside delivery if you can or unless you are experienced and have the equipment necessary to move large, heavy objects.
FWIW, I have been offered the 57HX81 for $2699 at a B&M shop, a good, if not great price. The sales tax here is 8.25%, for a total of $2922, not including warrenty. It can be had online for less, but you will pay for shipping. I expect that prices will be coming down as we approach the Xmas shopping season.
5 year warrenties can run anywhere from $250 to $500 (or more), depending on provider, coverage and service types (in-home vs. shop), but look around, because warrenties can be negotiated. FYI, you are not obligated to buy an extended warrenty from your dealer.
------------------
Dan

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
IMO, the HX is definitely worth more money, but I think I've seen the difference between the 2 much lower than $500US. In fact, the US list price is only $200 more for the HX, so I'd work on that.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I purchased the tv on Sunday. I bought the 57HX81. IMO it was definately worth the difference. I got it for less than 2600! Watched Monday Night Football in TW1 mode with the Movie settings. It was awesome. Definately better than my 27".
I was wondering what is a good direct tv receiver to buy for HDTV? All reponses welcome.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I was wondering what is a good direct tv receiver to buy for HDTV? All reponses welcome.
I am waiting to see the new Zenith DTV1080. The specs and features look very good, but it no one has done a review yet. It was supposed to be out a couple of months ago, but I'm still waiting.
------------------
Dan

Doug_JC

Grip
Trey,
I am also on the verge of buying the 57HX81 or 57h81 or 50 H81. I am unsure if I want the 57" or not. Did you do a comparison of the H and HX? Did you notice any difference in the picture quality?
One of my big concerns is hoe it will look on DirecTv with sports. How much stretching did you get? Did it do anything funky to the look of the field or players. How about the quick camera panning?
The toshiba DST 3000 HDTV receiver seems like a primo unit. I've seen it as low as $569.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have DirecTV and watched monday night football from NY and LA. I preferred the one form NY, the colors seemed more neutral. Prior to football, all I had done was the 9-point convergence. I set the TV to TW1 so it was doing the squeeze, but you really had to work to tell. If you went on a station with a ticker, you could see the squeeze, but I have to say WOW! I have an old (let me stress) old Hughes Silver series receiver connected to my Sony str de945 receiver via S-vdeo. The receiver is connected to the Television. Nonetheless, it was WAY better looking than I expected.
The scaler in these sets is much an improvement over last years model, or the Mits. I did see both the 57h81 and the 57hx81 together, and I definately preferred the HX. Better build quality, noticably better optics, better screen, and better asthetics. The difference in cost for me was just 200 bucks. I think it was more than worth the difference.
------------------
Have you seen my audio rack?

[Edited last by Trey Jones on September 26, 2001 at 01:49 AM]

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know how much Toshiba directly wants to add an additional 5 years to the warranty? I need to compare that to the price of purchasing a warranty though whatever dealer I purchase my TV from. I was quoted $450 from 6th Ave (who do not have them in stock as of yet). Thanks
------------------
At my signal, unleash Hell.......
Toshiba 57H81-(coming soon)
Denon 3802
Panasonic RP-91
Toshiba 808 6-Head SVHS
Definitive 2002TL's Mains
Definitive CLR2002 Center
Definitive BPX2 Surrounds

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
I saw your pictures on your website...
Nice rack, and the audio rack isn't bad either. Nice woodworking....
hehe...I had to say it..
Chuck
wink.gif

Bob Ruby

Auditioning
Will,
Most vendors I've talked to indicate they should have them in stock within the next two weeks.
The local Tweeter store told me they were expecting six 65HX81s on 10/11. Their price was $3499.
Bob
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.