Toshiba 5700

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jordan Tracey, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Jordan Tracey

Jordan Tracey Stunt Coordinator

Well, I haven't heard any complaints about the video quality or the picture shifting like on the Panasonic rp-91....So how is this player?

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

This seems to be a new player that bears watching. It could give the RP91 a run for the money with a list price of only $399.

I like the fact it has DVDA/ HDCD/ Progressive Scan/ has a ZOOM feature etc..

JohnG

3. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

John where are you getting your information from?

4. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

Have you tested a RP91?

5. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

The 5700 does have a nice picture and it includes a much-improved downconversion algorithm for anamorphic DVDs - much better than previous Toshiba players.

Unfortunately it loses out to the RP-91 in terms of picture quality. The chroma bug is present in the Toshiba (though not as worse as some).

----

Jeff

6. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

7. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Jeff, have you seen a 5700 and compared it to an RP91? I've done so with the 4700 and I believe the 4700 offers a better picture.

Yes the 3750/4700/5700 have the chroma bug but as Kwang said, it's very minor.

8. JohnThomas

JohnThomas Auditioning

Could someone tell me what the chroma bug is? Thanks in advance.

9. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

10. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Paul:
    I have compared the two and the RP-91 wins hands down.
    I have read your other thread regarding your issues with the RP-91 image. I won't speak definitively since I haven't seen your player and it is possible the problems you see are occuring. But I do think something is amiss somewhere in your setup.
    To my eyes though, the RP-91 is much better. The chroma bug is minor on the Toshiba models - but it is still there. And it is not so minor as for it not to be an issue. It is.
    But other than that, I think the Panny is the better deal, to my eyes anyway. [​IMG]
    ----
    Jeff

11. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I've got to admit the chroma bug, no matter what it looks like, is very slight on the 4700. I would take that over the RP56's flicker problem any day.

For the most part, I like the 4700. There are just two issues which might make me return the unit.

12. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

JeffD what are those issues?

One I've seen is that the cursor on 4:3 DVD menus is positioned incorrectly on a 16:9 display when the pillar format 4:3 display option is used. The cursor is positioned as if the menu were stretched out.

13. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I also own the Panny and think its great but the new low priced DVDA players are very enticing to people who want to upgrade above the bare bones DVD players.
    Its great to see that Progressive Scan DVDA players are coming down in price.
    Now all I need is a Progressive Scan DVDA/SACD player that plays everything (CD-R's, MP3's) that can tell me the Time Remaining in a movie and has a ZOOM so I can read the credits at the end of a movie.
    JohnG[​IMG]

14. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Paul the issues involve mp3 playback (just horrible) and video problem with the video output.

Descriptions of both can be found [LINK]http://www.geocities.com/iceweasel_14/tosh_mp3_bug.html[/LINK]

15. Paul_Psutka

Paul_Psutka Stunt Coordinator

I too have issues with the SD4700.

#1 Noisy transport can be heard during low-level late night listening (a problem with all Toshiba players I tested).

#2 Digital noise can be heard from the front right and surround right speakers when playing "some" DVD-Audio discs. The 2 problematic discs I've found are "Studio Voodoo" and "Immersion", and the problem is only noticeable when listeing to the DVD-Audio (MLP) tracks. The DD or DTS tracks playback without noise.

I still haven't tried swapping for another SD4700 player at BestBuy. I think I'll just get a full refund instead.

16. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

(why isn't there any auto quote option here!)

Jeff Kowerchuk wrote:

17. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Paul - noisy transport? Not sure how close the player is to your ears, but I've NEVER heard either of my Toshiba players while playing. I've only heard the door opening/closing and the initial spin-up or spin-down.

18. Paul_Psutka

Paul_Psutka Stunt Coordinator

Paul H, do you have a quiet room? With the receiver volume muted I can hear the disc spinning (in play mode) from 15 feet away with my Toshiba SD4700. I went to the store to hear some other Toshiba players and they seemed to be just as loud, but in the store I had to put my ear up to them to compare because the background noise in the store was so loud.

I can't hear the disc spinning under "normal" circumstances such as when I'm listening to a movie or CD at moderate to loud volumes. It's most annoying when I'm trying to listen to music very quietly late at night, and I hear the annoying ticking sound from the transport.

I tested some other players at a store, and found the JVC's, Samsungs, and Pioneers to be very quiet.... could hardly tell if the disc was playing or stopped. The Sony had a bit of a high frequency whistle, but I don't think it would be audible from a typical listening position.

19. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Paul - my room is quiet, but I don't listen to very quiet music passages, ever, I guess. I was wondering, are you listening to a CD or a DVD? Perhaps the transport is noisier when playing CDs than DVDs which is why I don't hear it?

I don't listen to CDs on my home theater at all by the way - I find 2 channel audio boring now. Heck even my car has speakers all around me even though it's the same audio front and back of course.

20. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton