What's new

Toshiba 5700 DVD-Audio noise (1 Viewer)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Hi all,
I picked up a Toshiba 5700 for $279 yesterday. It's replacing my JVC XV-D723 which I didn't like much, but was the only affordable DVD-Audio player a year ago. Anyway, I'm using the Blue Man Group "Audio" DVD-Audio disc, I have the audio set to "Bitstream" and my Denon 5800 set to EXT-IN so that I'll get the audio from the 6-channel analog. This worked fine on the JVC - the DVD-Audio always went out the 6 analog lines regardless of how the JVC's output was set (bitstream/analog). With the Toshiba, I get this digital noise on the front-right channel for the first 30 seconds or so of track 1, and when the music gets louder, the digital "noise" goes away. If I set the output to "6 Channel Analog", it plays perfectly. Is this right??? I found this article here on the forum with no followup. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Mike

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Yeah, that was ONE of the problems a number of people had with the 4700/5700. You have to select internally every time you go from one mode to the other. They even give you separate analogs along with the 6 channel. What the heck gives? I sent it back and got a JVC 70BK (my original choice---4700 was a test flyer)...Never looked back. If you've gone into the menu and made the proper choices and you're still getting the noise---send it back. If you only get the sound when the menu selection isn't right, get used to it. It doesn't go away.

Wes Stover

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,

From what I read in your post you think that DVD Audio can be decoded from the bitstream. It can't. Not the multichannel. That goes for all models of DVD Audio/Video players.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Sorry for the imprecision. No, not from the bitstream...that wasn't what I was referring to in setup. I was speaking about the fact that the Tosh doesn't auto recognize the input. In the Tosh you HAVE to select 6 channel analog (or something similar, it's been a few months). In the JVC this is not necessary. This is because the JVC has the required recognition built in and the Tosh by offering a separate analog for stereo makes this necessary. Sometimes an extra feature just doesn't need to be there...but that's just me.

You're right in that I should have been more to the point about Mike's post. He did say 'bitstream' but I assume he already figured out that no DVD-A through the digital.

Wes Stover

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,
So the auto recognition. How does it work?
When a DVD Video is placed in the player you can have the default output be bitstream, and when a DVD Audio disc is placed in the player the default output becomes the analog 6 output? Just curious :)

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
No, I never use bitstream. The JVC has only the 6 channel analog for analog. You use the same front L-R for stereo with two cables or DVD-A with six. I use DD/PCM setting almost exclusively.
Somehow ;) the JVC is able to recognize the difference between the two and miraculously :D deliver the proper signal without any further instruction from me, all from the same outputs! :b Gee, you think Toshiba might license this 'miracle technology' from JVC? :D :D :D
OK, enough sarcasm. The reason I do not use bitstream is due to the fact that the sound, even in stereo, is superior with analog in my setup, even after upgrading to H/K 510.
I refer people to Gavin Stokes review on the 4700 over at Consumerreview.com. It was one of the earlier ones, along with mine. He has said, with greater precision than I ever could, what is wrong with the audio of the 4700 (and the 5700-I assume). A reconstituted version of the review is also available on Epinions.com. As to the video, bug or not, I still consider it to be an excellent player. So much so that I used it's standard picture to set my JVC 70BK user 1 setting to match when I had them both for trial. But the lack of true reverse/still and the current jumpy implementation is ludicrous on such a fine player. :thumbsdown: The remote is a whole other thread. :frowning:
Sorry for being obtuse. Sometimes I just can't get my brain to function.;)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
On the Tosh, select DVD-A over Dolby Digital. And the player will select the DVD-A, and therefore the analog 6 channel output, track every time.
At least on my 5700 ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks