What's new

Toshiba 57" vs Sony 57" (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I'd like some opinions.
I've seen the Toshiba 50H82 and it looked marvelous. The Sony 51WS500 looked pretty good, but every time I've seen the 57WS500 it's looked grainy on most sources.

I haven't gotten to see the Toshiba 57H82, I'm trying to get Best buy to set it up.

What set do you guys think works better with stretching? I've read Toshiba does.

I know the clarity of Toshiba shouldn't be as much as the Sony, but to me it seemed like it was actually better?

Even the local dealer (who must have his sets calibrated) wasn't looking very good...am I missing something with these sets?

Thanks,
ELMO

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Pioneer has better stretch modes than either of them. Check out the Pioneer or Pioneer Elite RPTV's.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Why would should you believe that? I own displays by both: a WEGA in the main setup, and a Tosh in the bedroom system. Quite frankly, I prefer the color accuracy of the three-year-old Toshiba to the bells-and-whistles WEGA.

And I have preferred the calibrated pictures on Toshiba RPTVs to the Sony models almost every time.

Both companies are exemplary, but I give the nod to Toshiba.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Well the reason is the toshiba upconverts everythingto 540p while the sony will DRC it to 960i which is a no added line conversion, where as the toshiba has to double or triple some lines to get 540p from 480p/480i.

It's already shown there is more detail with other sets than Toshiba becuase of the upconversion but it's not very onticeable...unless the sets are side by side.

I still think I am going for the toshiba. I can't get a pioneer "ELITE" I don't have that kind of money, the only one I canget is the SD533HD (pioneer) which is a decent size (55" would be best), but I can't get to see the set. If I can't see the set beforehand my parents don't want the set.

Thanks for the replies,
ELmO

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Upconversion on the Tosh is just about a non-issue. With most DVDs, there is NO difference because the detail isn't there to begin with. You pretty much have to look at Avia test patterns to find any difference at all. Check out Michael TLV's updated article on the Keohi site for screenshots.

Reports are that the Tosh does a better job with mediocre signals than the Sony. I read a lot of posts complaining about how unwatchable cable or satellite has become with their RPTVs, but I just don't have that problem. I don't expect DirecTV to be as sharp as a DVD, and my picture on even the worst channels is definitely watchable. Soft, yes, but even VHS tapes are decent. Just the elimination of scan lines is a treat for me.

I haven't heard before that the Tosh stretch modes were second to anybody. But...I haven't seen the Pioneer stretch modes, so maybe Big Al knows something I don't.

I agree with Jack about the color fidelity. It's amazing on the Tosh. Some people may prefer the red-pushed Mits or bluish Sony, but I happen to love the color on the Tosh. YMMV.

Cheers,

Jan

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
It's really hard to find a HDX82 model here.
I went to Sears yesterday and the salesman were arguing with each other. I stared at sets for about an hour before I said if they aren't goign to help me out without me asking for it I'm leaving..so I did.
They were arguing about something they did last night..one guy said to the other "if you weren't my friend I probably would have kicked your ass. Your mouth was going too much last night". I can't believe they let their employees talk to each other like that for an hour...makes me worried about buying a set from people like that.
-ELmO:star:

James Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Im had the same trouble deciding on which to go for also. so far Im leaning towards the 57WS500 mosty because Im very happy with the Sony Wega I have now. At best buy I did see the Tosh 50h82 and the Sony 51WS500 right next to each other.. I did see a better pic quality on the 50H82 but dont want to compare pics on a showroom floor only because the other just may not be tuned correctly.

Im going with the sony, again only because Ive been very happy with my previous sony purchases.

Brent_N

Stunt Coordinator
To add to the discussion, I have pasted a post I made in the Home Theater Spot's Rear and Front Projection Systems forum. I make comments on the Toshiba upconversion issue as well a comparision of stretch modes.

Re: Shootout: Toshiba 57HDX82 vs. Pioneer SD-533HD5

Just today I was able to audition the 57HDX82 and the SD-533HD5 side by side at my local AV store for about an hour, concentrating on DVD and 4:3 cable (an HDTV source was not available).

Although, I doubt each TV had gone through a complete calibration (I at least checked that the picture settings were not at extreme levels), the comparison was enough to sway me toward the Toshiba.

Here is what I concluded:

* The 57 inch screen size on the Toshiba is significantly larger in my opinion. The 53 inch seems too small at my 11-13 ft viewing distance. Also I noticed that the Pioneer sits lower to the floor, making it seem that much smaller.

* The 480p upconversion is a NON-issue in my opinion. I never noticed any artifacts whatsoever. The picture looked great on both TVs. I looked closely at Toy Story and A Bugs Life, studying picture quality at speed, freezing and studying the picture, etc. Yes, if I looked hard enough, I could find areas of the picture where the Pioneer had somewhat sharper lines, but I don't know how much of this was due to the smaller screen size or convergence issues. Also, afterwards I noticed that the Toshiba was hooked up through the Video 1 input and not the components inputs, and still looked 99% as detailed as the Pioneer. I don't plan on watching test patterns for entertainment, so upconversion is no longer a deciding factor for me.

* Color reproduction, hands down looked best on the Toshiba. The Pioneer probably needed to be adjusted, but there seemed to be a hint of greenish or bluish tint.

* I also compared regular cable paying close attention to the progressive 4:3 stretch modes. I actually found that I like the Toshiba stretch slightly better than the Pioneer, but they were both acceptable. Even with Pioneer's Natural Wide mode, watching a news cast, the persons face seems a little plump even in the center of the screen, while the persons face on the Toshiba TW1 looked closer to normal. The Toshiba cable picture did look slightly grainier than the Pioneer, but, again, this could be due to the larger screen size.

Overall, the larger screen size is the deciding factor. Add to that DVI input, plus 720p, better color, slightly better stretch mode (in my opinion) and the Toshiba is the winner for me.

ThomasR

Auditioning
I bought the Toshiba 57HDX82 a week ago and it's a great set. I sit 9 feet away from the screen and I was thinking about going to a 50", BUT I'm so glad I went with the 57". It definitley is not too big.

Cable actually looks pretty good,but last night I watched "Monsters Inc." and was stunned by the image quality, it almost looked like HDTV.
I just kept thinking as I watched each scene that it looked incredibly good, and this with very minimal adjustments and about 10 hours of use on the set.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I can't wait to get that feeling.
I'm still "looking" for the 57HDX82 let alone trying to buy it. I can't find stores that carry it. I sit 12-13 feet away so the set should be even a little better looking to me. I was comparing the Sony 51WS500/57WS500 with the Toshiba 50H82 and the Toshiba PQ was a little better, stretch was definitely better - but I haven't gotten to see the 57H82 or the HDX82 to compare how that is with the larger Sony.
PS - try Jimmy Neutron. Best buy was featuring this DVD on an openbox 57H81 and :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: is all I can say.
-ELmO:star:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks