Toshiba 56h80 vs Pioneer sd532hd5

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveMc, Mar 3, 2001.

1. SteveMc

SteveMc Stunt Coordinator

Well the time has finally come for me to make up my mind on which one I want. I have been researching the posts and reviews for HDTVs for a couple months and have narrowed my choices down to the 56h80 or the sd532hd5. I was wondering if anyone can give some insight on my decision as I have heard nothing but great things for both sets. I am leaning to the Tosh as it sounds like it easier to access the service modes and hacks and things. The only down side to the Tosh so far is that its a beast...over 300 lbs!! Not looking forward to ever having to move it.
    On a side note, I have been looking at mostley Internet dealers for prices and service. Has anyone had problems getting warantee service from sets purchased over the Net? I do have a good local dealer that delivers cheap (40 bucks) but plus tax and their prices are quite a bit higher and they don't deal Toshiba, only the Pioneer I want.
    Crash

2. Scott Minto

Scott Minto Auditioning

I was looking at the same models plus the Mitsubishi WS55807 and also planning on ordering over the internet. Yesterday, I was in my local Sam's club where they have always only had the Pioneer SD532HD5 and it was ~$3500. When I was there, I noticed the price has dropped to $2499 all of a sudden. I don't know if all stores did this or just mine. It may be worth looking into because I can't find a lower price on the internet.

3. Jim Kirkman

Jim Kirkman Agent

Both sets are very capable.
    IMO, the Pioneer wins in the cosmetics department. However, the Toshiba's line doubler produces fewer artifacts, especially during scenes with lots of motion. Also, if you plan on using a progressive scan source (ie- progressive scan DVD player or external line doubler) keep mind that the Pioneer will lock into "full mode" with these sources, giving you no control over aspect ratio. While anamorphic DVDs will be fine in this mode, everything else will be distorted. In contrast, the Toshiba allows you access to all five viewing modes regardless of the source. This was the deciding factor for me since I am using a progressive scan DVD player.
    Jim
    ------------------

4. SteveMc

I don't have a progressive DVD yet but I plan on it eventually. I think I have a pretty good deal on the Toshiba right now, i am just waiting on an email for the final price. I am sure i would be pleased with either, but this is my frist big dive into HT so it hard to make up my mind. In the end though it'll probably just come down to which I can get a deal on.
    Crash

5. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

Just so you know I'm not biased, I've got the Pioneer SD582... :)
    The Pioneer's tend to be much better adjusted "out of the box"--as attested to by the magazine reviews, and Michael TLV--who has actually ISF'd both sets. Even with Avia or VE calibration, the Pioneer's tend to need fewer final tweaks with full-blown ISF calibration (this is all based on what I've read on the HT forums).
    I seem to recall reading that all the "hidden" designer menu items (service mode) are not yet known for the "H" series of Toshiba's--as they are for the now older "X" series.
    Yes, the Pioneer's lock into full mode with Progressive dvd players--but I can count on one hand (maybe two) the number of non-anamorphic dvd's I've watched in the past year--it's mostly a non-issue...you simply switch to another input and use interlaced output from your dvd player. All inputs have their own settings, adjustable directly from the user menu system.
    Can't argue with buying the set that has the best deal...people are happy with both of them...
    Marc
    ------------------

6. Matt_W

Matt_W Auditioning

I too, own the sd582 so I am a little biased.
    I got this thing in December and had also narrowed it to the Tosh and Pioneer. I was fortunate enough to be able to do a side by side at a local retailer.
    I personally thought that the Pioneer's doubler did a better job with cable, while the Tosh was better with non-progressive DVD. In the side by side with Toshiba 5109, the differences were small (to my eyes).
    But, what sold me was HD. The picture through the RGB on the sd5*2 was untouchable IMO. (The Sopranos last night were unbelievable.)
    I would agree that the "lock in full" is a minor nuisance with DVD, but it has resurfaced with the addition of the DTC100. If you want the Pioneer's aspect control for non-HD content from the DTC100, you have to connect the DTC to 2 inputs, or toggle the RGB input on the back of the Pioneer. This is a non-issue if you have a receiver that can switch video for your sources.
    I would say that you can't lose either way, both are excellent units, but look at the Pioneer in HD before making your decision.
    Matt

7. SteveMc

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I though I made up my mind on the Tosh, but the price i expected wasn't all that great plus I needed to pay for shipping. But as Scott pointed out, I checked out SamClub.com and the sd532 indeed is only 2500! Unbelievable, just when I think i made up my mind [​IMG] I have been doing this back and forth for at least 2 months so i am used to it. I will probably go to besy buy and check out both again to see how they look as they have both units pretty much set up side by side. Ahh, the deciding continues. Can't wait until i make up my mind!!
    Crash

8. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

That's an incredible price on the SD532!! Even if you have to add a few hundred for shipping...
    I went with a local dealer for my SD582--while some internet prices were better, once I added the $300+ shipping, the cost was so close that it wasn't worth the hassle and dangers of shipping...
    Marc
    ------------------

9. SteveMc

I checked out Sams Club in my area bu they dont have the pioneer in the stores it looks like, I looked at all the stores in West Michigan and none have it, so i have to get it online which will add 275 S&H + 160 sales tax. Still the cheapest i have found. I think they will deliver right from the manufacturer so it takes up to 3 weeks to deliver. I am so close to getting it, but something is still holding me back.

10. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

Steve,
    I have the SD532-HD5 and have had since last April. I know you will not regret the purchase. That is an AWESOME price too.
    Matt