Toshiba 56h80 or 65h80

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianRS, Jun 22, 2001.

1. BrianRS

BrianRS Stunt Coordinator

56h80 is $2626 including shipping from onecall.
    65h80 is $2925 including shipping from costco.
    I think the 65" might be a better deal but I'm only about 8-9 feet away from the screen and originaly had a budget of about $2000 before I started researching (of course that increases every day with the more I learn).

2. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

I got a 56H80 and now I'm kind of wishing that I got the 65H80. Not that the 56 is bad -- it's just that I could have probably gone bigger with my viewing distance (11 feet). I've never heard anyone say their set was too big [​IMG]
    regards,
    chris

3. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

the 65H80 is now $2798 shipped from costco.com. the great thing about that is you can return anything ordered online to a local store. they will literally take almost anything back for any reason.
    here's the link:http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?t...=10011031&log=

4. Chris Sigua

Chris Sigua Stunt Coordinator

Another thing to add to the Costco price is sales tax. If they do business in your state, they will add sales tax.
    Here is what they have under their Cutomer Service:
    Sales Tax
    Sales tax will be charged on all orders sent into any state where Costco has a legal presence. Appropriate sales tax will be displayed on the check out section of the site.

5. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

At 8-9 feet, the 65 would be too big. I sit 9-10 feet from my 56H80. Any closer and line structure becomes apparent.
    ____
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "You're a walking stick! It's funny! Now GO!"

6. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

I bought a 40H80 in Feb. for a small room in my house. As I watch the price on the 65H80 fall I'm very tempted to get one to replace my 55" SONY 4:3 in my living room. If the number gets closer to two grand I just might bite. By the way, the ISF tech who calibrated my set suggested I take a closer look at the 56H80 since both it and the 65H80 use 7" CRTs. His premise is the 56H80 would provide a better image. He prefers the configuration of the 40H80 over them all.
    -Gary

7. Luis Gabriel Gerena

Luis Gabriel Gerena Second Unit

While bigger is always better when it comes to RPTVs you also have to keep in mind that due to the 7" guns the 56" will more probably look better than the 65". Still you get used to a tv size sooner than you might think so by all means try to find one 65" around (even from another brand) and watch it from your viewing distance to get an idea. Besides, a 2.35 movie is not that big in 55" so thats another good reason to go for the 65". I haven't seen one Tosh that big but I have seen the 55" mits and I don't think that the 65" would be that big for 9' viewing. Is that 9' from the screen or from the wall? Also, I know that this are different technologies but I am watching my FPTV from 11' with an 8' wide image and I have no problems with scan lines or pixels.
    En

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

9. Brett G

Brett G Stunt Coordinator

10. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

11. Brett G

Brett G Stunt Coordinator

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

One more thing... when we are talking about viewing distances, are we talking about the same thing? What I mean is distance from eye to screen, not from couch to screen or wall to screen or anything else. Is that what everyone else means too? Otherwise someone's 11 feet might be another person's 8 feet...
    /Mike

13. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

viewing distance = eye to screen.

14. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Another good point has been brought up. Any artifacts or other anomalies in the image will be more apparent the closer you sit.
    Take any reference quality DVD and look at it with your face right at the screen. Even the reference stuff looks like crap this close. The further away you get, the more such artifacts dissolve.
    DVD is definitely no problem, but analog sources such as cable or satellite definitely require a healthy viewing distance.
    ____
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "They're coming to get you Barbara..."