Toshiba 56H80 & Direct TV image quality

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael De Costa, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Michael De Costa

Michael De Costa Stunt Coordinator

Based on the lack of reponse my question received in the Sat Area, I have reposted it here in hope of a better response. Recently, I had Direct TV installed and mustsay, I have mixed reviews. This dilemma is because of the following situation: While on my Toshiba 30" Direct View TV, the picture looks outstanding, but by when viewing my Toshiba 56H80 Rear Project TV, the picture is undesirable having a somewhat fuzzy appearance. While the picture is ok, I didn't spend all this money to receive an ok picture which I could pull from a cable signal.
    At first, I tried the obvious, and checked the signal strength which is at 84% which is a pretty decent level. I then went to an S-Video connection but still the picture looks a bit fuzzy. (I would have gone composite but the current RCA receiver does not have a composite output) The differences in picture quality leaves me confused.
    The last thought I have is that the Toshiba's Stretch mode is causing the fuzzy picture. What is the optimal viewing mode when watching regular satellite broadcasts? Full View, Theater 1, 2 or 3? Any help in this matter would help. Thanks in advance.
    ------------------
    At my singnal, unleash HELL.......

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    [​IMG]Greetings
    Ask yourself the question. What happens to an image when you zoom in too much ...? Does the clarity hold up? Does more image detail manifest itself out of thin air?
    How come the DVD image is so fuzzy on my TV when I use the 4X zoom function? How come it isn't as sharp as with no zoom?
    [​IMG]
    TV's do not behaved like that Esper Machine in the movie blade runner. A satellite signal only has a finite amount of information. The leap from 32" to 56" crosses that fine line from apparent goodness to obvious badness.
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
    [Edited last by Michael TLV on July 11, 2001 at 03:06 PM]

3. Michael De Costa

That's not the answer I was hoping to hear. I realized by zooming from the 4:3 "Normal" ratio to one of the 16:9 modes I would have some picture distortion but overall, I would expect a bit better quality. Will this improve as I obtain a HDTV decoder and pull in HD images? I sure hope so.

4. Michael De Costa

Michael,
    in your personal info, I see you list "ISF Calibrationist" in US $ how much should I expect to pay to get mt Toshiba 56H80 calibrated? $100, $200? $500? I have no clue to understand what is a good price for calibration and do not want to get ripped off. Thanks

5. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    HDTV on the Toshiba is sweet. On a well calibrated Toshiba, it crosses that threshold and often looks like looking out a window.
    Did I mention that it looks great?
    This applies only to true HDTV signals though ... not upconverted signals.
    Pricing for a full service calibration which goes well beyond the ISF basics will be in the $400 to $600 range. It isn't set in stone and the few that do this, don't always provide the same services. Some will charge you these same prices and try to get away with only the basics. So stay on your guard.
    For a primer on ISF calibration and what to ask ... go to the Keohi.com/keohihdtv site and read ... lots of good stuff there.
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Michael TLV on July 11, 2001 at 04:06 PM]

6. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    I should also add that going from 30" to 56" adds one additional item that significantly affects how you perceive detail in the image.
    It's the line doubler in the HDTV.
    Going from an interlaced display to a progressive scan display requires adjustment time. Initially, interlaced displays look "sharper" and more detailed. Part of the reason for this is an optical/mental illusion.
    The interlacing of the image causes the brain to interpolate the image in the black area. Our brain simply interprets interlaced images as being sharper, but this is an optical illusion.
    Imagine a white wall devoid of detail. Now one is presented in interlaced format and the other is presented in progressive scan. Which image is sharper? Most people would choose the interlaced image. But how can that be, we know there is no detail on the white wall. The brain adds aritficial detail to the image.
    The progressive scan white wall is simply that ... a white wall.
    I'd rather look at real detail than something artificially created as a result of an optical illusion.
    A proper calibration of the TV will improve the satellite images. Typically you can tell that an improvement has occurred because the graphic user interface just leaps out at you.
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

7. Aaron Arzoumanian

What is the difference in an image that is upconverted?
    I was thinking of buying the Toshiba dst-3000just to up-convert regular cable since I don't get HDTV signals locally is this worth it?
    Thanks,
    Aaron
    ------------------

8. Michael De Costa

Michael,
    Thanks for al your information. I definitely plan on getting my TV calibrated in the future, although the cost might set the time frame back a bit (I need to upgrade my receiver first). AS for HDTV, I can't wait to order my decoder and get running. The disappointing thing is that there are not that many channels that are broadcasting signals in HD. [​IMG] Thanks again....
    ------------------
    At my singnal, unleash HELL.......

9. Brett G

Brett G Stunt Coordinator

As one who owns a 65H80 and has DirecTV I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your opinions. DirecTV looks passable at best on my set (but usually looks pretty bad). But rest assured that it has nothing to do with your 56H80. Even on my old 36" direct view I noticed plenty compression on the DirecTV signal. Now that it is blown up to about 53" (4:3 frame when not stretched) the result is even worse.
    I have seen true HDTV on my set, and let me tell you that it is absolutely amazing. It even puts DVD to shame. Believe me, once your set is calibrated, any complaints you have about the picture will always be related to the source, and not your display.
    -Brett
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    My DVD's

10. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

As I understand it, some Toshibas are shipped with 3:2 pulldown, and some Toshibas have a dormant 3:2 pulldown function that can be activated with the correct incantation. Look into that first. It will only help with film sources, but that's a lot of it.
    Then take a look at your cables. Are you using RG6 for all your satellite-related cables? No RG59, right? Oh, and s-video is much better than composite, in general.
    Finally, line doublers are of varying quality. Toshiba uses one of the better ones. You could get an improvement by using a DVDO iScan Pro, but it seems that many Toshiba owners who have tried haven't been impressed with the quality boost relative to the price. With a DVDO iScan Pro on my Philips set, DirecTV is impressive at 60" 4:3, at least on the less compressed channels. Pay-per-view channels seem almost DVD quality with a DVDO iScan Pro. However, DirecTV compresses the hell out of many of its channels, in an attempt to squeeze in more and more locals.
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group