Toshiba 56h80/40h/80 vs Mitsubish wt46807

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff-K, May 23, 2001.

1. Jeff-K

Jeff-K Auditioning

Hi,
    I'm looking for a new HD-ready tv, I will be using is for 50-60% broadcast tv, and the rest split between my Dreamcast through the VGA output and DVD through a interlaced placer(will get progressive as soon as dvd audio progressive combo's come down in price and have bass management. I have read about Verticle Raster lines on the Toshiba's and Red Shift on the Mitsubishi's. The 40 inch tosh and the Mits I've seen for 2K and the 56H80 for 3K. What is the best Tv for my needs in your opinion. Thanks.

2. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jeff,
    I don't know what region you're in but the Mits WS-55807 can be had around here for $2500. Sounds like this set could be a possibility for you as well.
    You've already made the hardest decision,IMO(16:9 vs 4:3) so the size would be the next issue I would tackle(what fits in your room, how far back is your viewing distance going to be, etc).
    The choice between the Mits and Tosh sets was made easier for me as Mits has the non-obsolescence guarantee. They both have a great picture, as did the Sony. The Sony sets were at least 1K more so they got scratched off the list first.
    Good luck and keep us posted,
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

3. Michael De Costa

Michael De Costa Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,
    i founf the Toshiba 56H80 at CrazyEddie.com for the following prices:
    $2,369.95 TV Alone
    $2,669.95 W/ 4 year service Plan
    $2,599.95 W/ Year Service Plan
    It was by far the best price I could find. FYI- in case the Toshiba was your choice.

4. Kishu

Kishu Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,
    The newer Toshiba sets have a FAR better line doubler than Mits. Infact I had to buy iscan pro with my Mits TV. However, now as a happy user of Tosh 56H80, I no longer need the iscan pro ext line doubler. Even in terms of color rendition, the Tosh is better than Mits(which has red-push lingering around).
    Go for biggest screen possible and my recommendation is Tosh.
    Cheers,
    Kishore

5. Jeff Kleinberg

Jeff Kleinberg Stunt Coordinator

Hey,
    Picked up the 56h80 today, It looked great in the local best buy with 1080I, I cant imagine how good it will look when calibrated. I'm looking for all tips and experiences with this set.
    Jeff
    ------------------