Toshiba 55HX70 or 53H71?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack F, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Jack F

Jack F Agent

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question.
    I can pick up a 55HX70 Floor Model for $1800.00 with a 5 year plan thrown in for free.
    Is this a good deal? Or should I consider waiting for the 53H71 and paying $500.00 more with only the standard warranty?
    Thanks for any advice you can offer.
    Jack

2. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Floor models of RPTVs are never recommended. RPTVs are susceptible to effects such as phosphour burn-in, which occurs when the tubes are run in "torch mode", ie. with Contrast and Brightness cranked to the max. Unfortunately, more often than not, floor models are run this way. This means any stationary images that have been on the screen in that time (letterbox bars, station logos) will be burned in.
    Also, running a set in this manner significantly reduces its lifespan.
    Overall, not a good idea to get a floor model...and I don't know if anyone could recommend it.
    Beyond that, the new models will have several new features worth waiting, and paying, for. Right on the top of the list is the coveted anamorphic-squeeze feature, where you'll finally be able to realize the full resolution of anamorphic DVDs with a Toshiba 4:3 set. This alone is worth the price of admission.
    Improved CRT and lens designs are also responsible for an improved picture in the current year models.
    So I can, without hesitation, recommend the new model. Go for it.
    ----
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "They're coming to get you Barbara..."

3. Sujeet Patel

Sujeet Patel Stunt Coordinator

I have a Toshiba 55H70, and wish I had the patience to wait for the 53H71, mainly for two features:
    The vertical squeeze (anamorphic support) for DVDs.
    The burn-in protection by moving pixels ever so slightly.
    However, I was impatient so I got the 55H70 in July, probably a week before the details of the H71 series was released.
    However, for $200 more than your floor model, you can get the 53H71 from Continental Trading. A word of warning is offered in advance, as this company is the biggest pain in the @ss to deal with (I bought my set from them), but their prices can't be beat. If you can pricematch the set somewhere else, go for it. But they're selling the 53H71 for $1999, free shipping.
    http://store.yahoo.com/continentaltr...5353inpro.html
    Good luck.

4. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Remember also that Continental Trading, like many internet firms, is not an authorizes Toshiba dealer, so you may have trouble invoking the manufacturer's warranty if there's a problem.
    ------------------
    History can be cruel in its brevity of words

5. Jack F

Jack F Agent

Thanks for your help. [​IMG]
    I should have thought of the Burn In problem. Shoot, I was standing there looking at all of the TV's with a stationary Message Bar being displayed on the bottom of the screens for 2 hours. I actually was thinking that it was hard on those sets being set to that channel. DUH, never thought of it in the purchasing decision.
    Thank You.
    Jack F.
    P.S. I'm actually asking for my Brother. He has decided to go with a Mitsubishi WS-65819. If thats a bad choice, please let me know.
    Thank You

6. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

It's only a bad choice because he has one and I don't : )
    Matt
    -

7. John Morris

John Morris Guest