Toshiba 540p output and SVM question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stan Rozenfeld, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Stan Rozenfeld

Stan Rozenfeld Stunt Coordinator

Hello, all!

I've been reading a lot of posts learning about HDTVs. I am planning to buy an 64-65" HDTV within the next few weeks. Most of my watching will consist of watching DVDs, so movie-like picture is important. A lot of people and some reviewers recommend Toshiba 65h81 or 65hx81. Yet there are several facts that have emerged from those reviews which are troubling and perhaps someone could clarify it for me.

According to reviews and Toshiba's own website, The native rate for Toshiba is 540p, so any progressive scan signal that comes in will be upgraded to 540p. A reviewer on cnet noted that since DVD players output 480p, this upconversion causes some artifacts. However, I went on Toshiba website and their new players (4700/5700) output 540p as well. This is true of some of the newer players from other companies as well. If that's the case, does that mean that if I match the Toshiba TV with one of the new players, there will not be that artifact problem?

Also, if I elect to buy a Pioneer HDTV which has a 480p native rate, and I match it with one of the newer players that output 540p, will there also be a mismatch/artifacts?

The other reservation I have with Toshiba is its SVM feature. Scan Velocity Modulation is not a popular feature with anyone except manufacturers. According to what I've read, you can only get rid of Toshiba's SVM by switching to movie preset mode, which is non-adjustable... and won't yield the best picture. My question is, is there a way to get rid of SVM on Toshiba and still have control of settings (maybe through professional callibration)?

Thanks in advance to all who answer!

Stan

2. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

There seems to be widespread confusion about this. Toshiba is claiming 540 lines of HORIZONTAL resolution for its players, which is the NTSC standard. That's 540 vertical lines. The 480p vs 540p refers to VERTICAL resolution; that's 480 horizontal lines (again the NTSC standard) vs. 540 horizontal lines. The scaling from 480p to 540p reduces vertical resolution and introduces artifacts like "shimmer" and occasional moire problems (the kind of problems that progressive is supposed to get rid of in the first place). I don't view this as a huge deal but tastes vary.

Also, once you switch to preferences to movie, SVM will be attenuated regardless of what adjustments you make to contrast etc.

3. Stan Rozenfeld

Stan Rozenfeld Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your reply, John!

Let me see if I understand you correctly...

Most of the players like Toshiba SD5700 follow the NTSC standard by outputting 540 lines of horizontal resolution and either 480i or 480p lines of vertical resolution, 480p being the progressive scan output. Most HDTV ready TV sets like Pioneer 643SD5, which have a 480p native display, will display it at 540 horizontal and 480 vertical resolution by either converting the 480i to 480p with their own line doubler, or accept 480p from progressive scan. However, Toshiba has a 540p native rate, so it will convert 480 into 540p, and display at 540 horizontal, 540 vertical, but in doing so, cause artifacts, etc. Did I get it?

Regarding SVM, I am not sure I understand. My understanding is that the only way to turn off SVM is to turn on the movie mode, but the presets of the movie mode can't be changed, so you're either stuck with presets at the movie mode, or SVM outside the movie mode. Is this true?

Thanks again!

Stan

4. JohnHN

JohnHN Stunt Coordinator

On the first, yes.

On the second, no. If you start in movie mode then SVM remains attenuated even if you then adjust color etc. This is true even though the mode (for that input) is now "preference." But if subsequently change the mode to Sports, say, then SVM will snap back on.