Toshiba 51hx93 or 50'Sony GrandWega

Discussion in 'Displays' started by NghiaTran, Feb 20, 2004.

1. NghiaTran

NghiaTran Agent

Hello all. I must request for your concentrated efforts in helping me make the right choice in my next tv purchase. My next home theater room is going to be in a 13x12 room so I wont be able to go any higher than a 55 inch tv. The runners up for my next big screen are between the Toshiba 51hx93 or Sony Grandwega. Any other recommendations in this size and price ranges I should also consider? I would be doing about 90% dvd watching and the rest satellite. What is the maximum size screen recommended for this size room? I am looking for overall picture quality. I have never even looked twice at the Toshiba until Home Theater Magazine did the rptv shootout. Any thoughts and or suggestions is greatly aprreciated.

2. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

There's a lot of ways to differentiate these two TVs. I assume your talking about the GWIII LCD RPTV.

1. Do you need the ATSC tuner? then Toshiba
    2. Do you want the best PQ? then Toshiba
    3. Do you fear burn-in? then Sony
    4. Do you need a light weight, compact TV? Sony
    5. The Toshiba is cheaper. Would this allow you to buy other components that you want? like a PVR, new DVD player with DVI, or a Hi Def STB?
    6. Do you want to place your equipment under the TV? Then get the Sony. If you want a rack next to the TV then realize you'll need a rack and a stand for the Sony.
    7. Do you want a set that needs very little tweaking to look its best? that'd be the Sony. the Toshiba will need tuning and calibrating moreso than the Sony.
    8. Do you care about black level? The Sony will not be able to produce the inky blacks you get with a CRT TV.
    9. On the flip side, the Sony will be brighter, so if you need a TV that looks good in a room with lots of ambient light, the Sony is your TV.

I hope this helped!

Dave

3. NghiaTran

NghiaTran Agent

Thank you for you response. I have taken all these things into consideration but I am most concerned with overall picture quality and just achieving that "wow" factor when viewing dvds. Im just looking for a very sharp picture with three dimensional like qualities. Im just wondering if there are any other choices to consider or am I getting grade A quality between these two sets. This will probably be my last tv purchase in a while so I just want to make certain that I make the right, unremorseful choice. One thing I am hesitant with the Sony GWIII is that there is no room on topp of the tv to place my hefty B&W HTM7 center channel speaker as with the Toshiba, there is. However with the Toshiba I would need a seperate component rack. So many factors. Very hard choice.

4. NghiaTran

NghiaTran Agent

BTW....what do you think between Toshiba 51HX93, 51H93, and 51 HX83? How does Toshiba fare with Mitsubishi Diamond series? Thanks again.

5. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

My personal opinion on CRT RPTVs is that the good ones are so close in PQ nowadays that you should just go for the one that suits your budget and has the options you want. I'd go with one of the three Toshibas as they are a better value than the Mits Diamond. If you want the best lenses, manual convergence features, and ATSC tuner then the HX93 is your choice. If you don't care about the tuner I'd look hard at the 83 model.

I'm in a similar boat to you. I recently bought a Sony 60" XBR LCD RPTV, but returned it after two weeks as the benefit just wasn't worth the cost to me. I'm now considering buying a small CRT RPTV, then getting a Front Projector for my new home when we move in a year or so. I'll probably buy the 46H83 or the 51HX93 or something in between. This is with the hopes that in a year or so the front projectors with the new DLP chips will be on the market and the bugs will all be fixed.

Of course by tomorrow I expect to have a different idea=)