Toshiba 51HX83

Discussion in 'Displays' started by StanMannus, Jun 22, 2004.

1. StanMannus

StanMannus Auditioning

I need some Pro advice here. I bought a Toshiba 51HX83 a few weeks ago, got it delivered only to find it possibly defective. Future Shop claims they can’t find another (factory sealed) unit and don’t know how long it will take to get one. Now they have, of course, offered my money back which is nice. Or I can take delivery of a Hitachi 51F500, which dollar wise, is a cheaper unit (I’ve read all the comparisons here in this forum).

I’m not all that convinced I’m getting the best possible pic from the unit. I have a non-HD satellite receiver and have noticed when flipping between channels that there is a large (faint) white ring on the all black screen. The ring is the full height of the display and pretty close to being dead center horizontally. Another image problem is color depth. By that I mean; no blending of color shades, there is a pixilated boarder on large background images that have varying lighting applied to it (does that make any sense?) It’s kind of like setting your computer vid-card to display only in 256 colors.

Does this sound like it can be remedied with professional calibration? Who services S-W Ontario? I think the last thing I want is a FShop sales clerk muckin’ around with this set.
    How does one go about finding a Certified ISF Technician in their area?

And how about some more info regarding these AVIA disks I seen in a few posts?

Thanks for any & all help.

2. StanMannus

StanMannus Auditioning

I need some Pro advice here. I bought a Toshiba 51HX83 a few weeks ago, got it delivered only to find it possibly defective. Future Shop claims they can’t find another (factory sealed) unit and don’t know how long it will take to get one. Now they have, of course, offered my money back which is nice. Or I can take delivery of a Hitachi 51F500, which dollar wise, is a cheaper unit (I’ve read all the comparisons here in this forum).

I’m not all that convinced I’m getting the best possible pic from the unit. I have a non-HD satellite receiver and have noticed when flipping between channels that there is a large (faint) white ring on the all black screen. The ring is the full height of the display and pretty close to being dead center horizontally. Another image problem is color depth. By that I mean; no blending of color shades, there is a pixilated boarder on large background images that have varying lighting applied to it (does that make any sense?) It’s kind of like setting your computer vid-card to display only in 256 colors.

Does this sound like it can be remedied with professional calibration? Who services S-W Ontario? I think the last thing I want is a FShop sales clerk muckin’ around with this set.
    How does one go about finding a Certified ISF Technician in their area?

And how about some more info regarding these AVIA disks I seen in a few posts?

Thanks for any & all help.

3. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

Have you done a convergence?

Only thing I can say is go to a store and look at the same model. Maybe take one of your DVDs with you that shows the color problem, and compare it to yours. If yours is defective then take your money back and/or get another. That other model is probably ok, but you got to get the model you want, not what some store wants to shovel off on you. [​IMG]

4. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

Have you done a convergence?

Only thing I can say is go to a store and look at the same model. Maybe take one of your DVDs with you that shows the color problem, and compare it to yours. If yours is defective then take your money back and/or get another. That other model is probably ok, but you got to get the model you want, not what some store wants to shovel off on you. [​IMG]

5. StanMannus

StanMannus Auditioning

Q. “Have you done a convergence?”
    A. About a million times. (Auto & manual)

I haven’t yet found a local distributor of the AVIA Sound & Vision DVDs so I pulled out a DVD with the THX Optimizer on it. That only showed me a few more flaws with this unit. The white instructional text on the black screen was crystal clear on the left-hand side but got blurry in the center of the screen then very blurry on the right-hand side. When I got to the Aspect Ratio Test the rectangular boarder was completely off the screen on the left-hand side.

A few other retail stores I’ve called state the 51HX83 is now discontinued & they don’t know when the replacement model will ship. Any Trades people want to share some inside info on this?

6. StanMannus

StanMannus Auditioning

Q. “Have you done a convergence?”
    A. About a million times. (Auto & manual)

I haven’t yet found a local distributor of the AVIA Sound & Vision DVDs so I pulled out a DVD with the THX Optimizer on it. That only showed me a few more flaws with this unit. The white instructional text on the black screen was crystal clear on the left-hand side but got blurry in the center of the screen then very blurry on the right-hand side. When I got to the Aspect Ratio Test the rectangular boarder was completely off the screen on the left-hand side.

A few other retail stores I’ve called state the 51HX83 is now discontinued & they don’t know when the replacement model will ship. Any Trades people want to share some inside info on this?

7. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

With the TOshiba ... you take the change of finding a set with rather significant ghosting issues ... and I have seen so many of those with this year's models.

With Hitachi, you might encounter the solarization/pastel colour effect which still occurs in some of the sets.

I'd probably take the Hitachi over the TOshiba though because of the more advanced service menus and more tweakable there.

Calibration people can be found at the imagingscience.com site. Look for someone with equipment ... but unfortunately that does not guarantee that they know what they are doing though. And plenty out there don't.

You can also find calibrators that travel the country ... that hang around on the forums like this one and others.

Regards

8. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

With the TOshiba ... you take the change of finding a set with rather significant ghosting issues ... and I have seen so many of those with this year's models.

With Hitachi, you might encounter the solarization/pastel colour effect which still occurs in some of the sets.

I'd probably take the Hitachi over the TOshiba though because of the more advanced service menus and more tweakable there.

Calibration people can be found at the imagingscience.com site. Look for someone with equipment ... but unfortunately that does not guarantee that they know what they are doing though. And plenty out there don't.

You can also find calibrators that travel the country ... that hang around on the forums like this one and others.

Regards

9. HoiT

HoiT Agent

Michael

I am glad that a professional is answering the query. I have my sight set on the 51HX93. When I called a few shops around Toronto last week, they all told me that this model has been discontinued. I am seriuosly thinking of getting a 51HX83 instead. But after reading this thread, I am having second thought. Especially about your comment of " I have seen so many of those with this year's model".

Any suggestions on other models in other brands e.g. Hitachi, Mitsu, Sony etc that are in the same league as the HX93?

Thank you very much in advance

Allan

10. HoiT

HoiT Agent

Michael

I am glad that a professional is answering the query. I have my sight set on the 51HX93. When I called a few shops around Toronto last week, they all told me that this model has been discontinued. I am seriuosly thinking of getting a 51HX83 instead. But after reading this thread, I am having second thought. Especially about your comment of " I have seen so many of those with this year's model".

Any suggestions on other models in other brands e.g. Hitachi, Mitsu, Sony etc that are in the same league as the HX93?

Thank you very much in advance

Allan

11. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

A Panasonic is a possibility since the TV has so much tweaking potential. Calibration is a must on that one ... but the results push it ahead of many other sets.

There is a reason Panasonic sets cost less than most though ... in a word ... cheap ... very skimpy ... they don't even paint the inside of the tv anymore ...

Sony is also a good choice as I think they are beyond their crt issues from last year.

Hitachi is still a possibility as well and you might find a remaining pioneer set too.

Regards

12. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

A Panasonic is a possibility since the TV has so much tweaking potential. Calibration is a must on that one ... but the results push it ahead of many other sets.

There is a reason Panasonic sets cost less than most though ... in a word ... cheap ... very skimpy ... they don't even paint the inside of the tv anymore ...

Sony is also a good choice as I think they are beyond their crt issues from last year.

Hitachi is still a possibility as well and you might find a remaining pioneer set too.

Regards

13. StanMannus

StanMannus Auditioning

Thanks for the replys.

"With the TOshiba ... you take the change of finding a set with rather significant ghosting issues ... and I have seen so many of those with this year's models."

Can anything be done about the ghosting? After the THX Optimizer, I noticed some ghosting, again it was towards the right side of the screen.

BTW; the store has found a factory sealed replacement & is shipping it ASAP. But the question still stands regarding the ghosting issue.

I did find a ISF Tech. a few towns away. He recommends running a new tv for 3 to 6 months before calibration. That way owners have a solid feel of how the set used to look, so they can compare to the new calibrated look. He claims the usual response is "Wow!". I have already put a note in my day-planner to call him early in Sept.

HoiT - the sound system in the HX83 is pretty damn sweet. I don't run my surround sound system all the time so it's nice to have decent sound coming from the tv set.

14. StanMannus

StanMannus Auditioning

Thanks for the replys.

"With the TOshiba ... you take the change of finding a set with rather significant ghosting issues ... and I have seen so many of those with this year's models."

Can anything be done about the ghosting? After the THX Optimizer, I noticed some ghosting, again it was towards the right side of the screen.

BTW; the store has found a factory sealed replacement & is shipping it ASAP. But the question still stands regarding the ghosting issue.

I did find a ISF Tech. a few towns away. He recommends running a new tv for 3 to 6 months before calibration. That way owners have a solid feel of how the set used to look, so they can compare to the new calibrated look. He claims the usual response is "Wow!". I have already put a note in my day-planner to call him early in Sept.

HoiT - the sound system in the HX83 is pretty damn sweet. I don't run my surround sound system all the time so it's nice to have decent sound coming from the tv set.

15. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Always beware of calibrators that promise you "WOW" ...

How can they without seeing what your TV even looks like?

Does a mechanic promise you the same WOW when you let them do a major tune up to the car?

You could always wait and wait for calibration, but the standard rule is about 100 hours ... or a good month of use to work out any settling bug issues.

If not careful, you can do plenty of damage to your TV in that 3 to 6 month period.

Regards

16. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Always beware of calibrators that promise you "WOW" ...

How can they without seeing what your TV even looks like?

Does a mechanic promise you the same WOW when you let them do a major tune up to the car?

You could always wait and wait for calibration, but the standard rule is about 100 hours ... or a good month of use to work out any settling bug issues.

If not careful, you can do plenty of damage to your TV in that 3 to 6 month period.

Regards

17. HoiT

HoiT Agent

StanMannus

I hope you do not mind me asking how much are you paying for the 51HX83 (you bought it from Future Shop, right?)
    I keep kicking myself for acting too slow in getting the HX93. I called up Toshiba customer service and the guy said that there are no HX93 equivalents in the new models line-up this year. I could have bought one for under cdn $2800 (tax in) 2 months earlier.

HoiT

18. HoiT

HoiT Agent

StanMannus

I hope you do not mind me asking how much are you paying for the 51HX83 (you bought it from Future Shop, right?)
    I keep kicking myself for acting too slow in getting the HX93. I called up Toshiba customer service and the guy said that there are no HX93 equivalents in the new models line-up this year. I could have bought one for under cdn $2800 (tax in) 2 months earlier.

HoiT

19. StanMannus

StanMannus Auditioning

No, I don't mind. The day I walked in to buy the Hitatchi 51F500 was the first day the 51HX83 went on sale for 2499cdn.

Michael TLV
    The ISF tech I spoke to seemed to be very knowledgable on the subject. It was tough to get him to stop talking about it. I got his name & number from the site you suggested. He was strongly recommending the DIY adjustments with the AVIA dvd while awaiting Pro calibration. His store is one of the oldest (most established) hi-end shops in the area and the only one I found that sold (or knew about) the Sound & Vision HomeTheater Tune Up DVD. I will however take your advice & get the set calibrated sooner.

Thanks again for your help.

20. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Make sure you are getting the full tune up on the TV rather than just a basic ISF calibration. There is a big difference between the two. It is akin to getting an oil change and a full tune up done on your car. (Mind you, full tune ups cost more.)

Regards