Toshiba 51H84 vs. Sony KP-51WS510

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Shane Morales, May 22, 2004.

1. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Which one is better? Why? Thanks.

2. DarrenHo

DarrenHo Stunt Coordinator

haven't seen the toshiba but i have the sony and can say that the picture is very nice. even sd cable isn't bad. the screen is pretty reflective though. not really a problem but placement might have to be considered.

3. Andy_Hamric

Andy_Hamric Stunt Coordinator

I just got the Sony 46" model, and can confirm that the screen is very reflective. I knew this going in, and since I watch with all the lights off (except for a light in another room) I avoid reflections. I tried turning a light on that's on the wall behind the TV, but this wasn't a good solution because my seating position has two glassed pictures on the wall immediately to the rear, and you could see the reflection of the light bouncing off the pictures behind me then bouncing off the TV screen. I never would have thougt of this as a problem... now I know why they say not to place the TV in a room with reflective walls/floors/ceilings.

My friend used to have a glass coffee table in front of his seating position that was terrible for reflections.

For bright TV pictures (rather than movies) I don't concern myself about the glare so much, as it doesn't bother me as much.

Can't comment on the Toshiba. Haven't seen it.

4. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

well I am right now in the same spot. I'm getting a deal on either one but by the looks of it I can get the Toshiba 51H84C for 2 g's after taxes, and the Sony 51 for 2.2g's then taxes. Also, every person in the shop swears that the Toshibas are better made and have a better comb filter. Anyone that can chime could save me from a bad purchase. Thanks all!

5. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

I have the 51H84 and the picture is literally amazing. The sound is quite surprising as well, built-in subwoofer. I chose the Tosh over the Sony for picture quality and reflection. The off axis tosh viewing is more than acceptable. SD viewing and stretch modes are very good in the tosh as well. I am happy with the reproduction of every source; HD, DVD and SDTV and I am ungodly pickly about PQ, I can spot nearly every flaw - artifacts et al....

The kicker for me was the price - I got a really, really good deal.

6. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

I have read that the Toshiba's can have a white line down the middle. Also, what is this off axis viewing your talking about?
    Thanks

7. Brett_A

Brett_A Stunt Coordinator

FWIW you can get a 65H84 from Onecall right now for under $2K

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

take the toshiba and don't look back.

i am not a fan of sony rptv's (but i love their tube tvs). we had two sonys in our store and they both konked out...at almost the exact same time. plus the pic looks soft.

the only thing i don't like abou the toshibas is i think they run excessively bright ... to a fault. even when you turn the brightness way down they still seem to bloom a little. but the pic is significantly sharper then the sony.

9. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

I am familiar with the CDL White Line issue....Mine either does not have it or I am simply unable to see it....I have looked, looked and looked some more and I cant see it....So if it does have it - you have to really know what the heck you are looking for....If its *that* inconspicuous than I dont see what the big yank is about it....My sales rep said if it did have it - they would fix it...but I dont see it..

Considering I can see vertical banding & other FP issues easily - I would say I dont have it...

Off-Axis is simply viewing from the side....You can view this TV from angles without issues and not all RPTVs are very good with that...

10. Matt Obie

Matt Obie Extra

I saw the Toshiba on Onecall. The 65H84 says it has a split cabinet design. Does this mean I could fit it into my basement and then put the 2 pieces together?

11. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Yes, but it isn't as easy to disassemble as it looks.[​IMG]

12. Allen_N

Allen_N Stunt Coordinator

I have the 57 inch version of the sony. It's a nice picture and I got it for an excellent price so I can't complain. The speakers on it are nice for tv speakers, best I've heard. Might not be a factor though. The screen is very reflective as has already been said. It also has a DVI input which I did not check to see if the Toshiba has or not.

My main problem with it is that it doesn't support 720p, it downgrades it. I would like to have 720p for my HTPC and xbox. Other than that I don't have any issues with it. If you get it, I would use the pro setting, it is the closest calibrated one.