Toshiba 50XH70: Is this model a lemon or am I just unlucky?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike Veroukis, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Greetings!

I'm the owner of a Toshiba 50HX70 and we've had warranty work on it three times now. It JUST died on us a few minutes ago and will now have to go through the Christmas break without it. The problem each time was a defective convergence circuit which needed to be replaced. The last time it was repaired was on Dec 5th, 2005 - so that's twice in one month. The basic effect is that the convergence for one of the three guns is completely off, which makes the image almost completely unwatchable. It's also very frustrating as it happens suddenly and always at the least convenient times. That and it takes over a week for the techs to return the TV (our only TV) back to us. Thank God we bought the extended warranty plan which has covered all costs up to this point - and won't run out until sometime in 2007.

So yes, part of this post is venting, and the other part is just plain curiosity: is this a common problem with these sets or are we just that unlucky? When we bought this TV I researched it here on HTF and was confident in the Toshiba brand name. Now, I'm kinda thinking that I'll never buy another Toshiba ever again. Am I being irrational here? I don't know, but would like some feedback from the community.

Any HX70 owners out there with any thoughts?

- Mike

edit: The title is wrong. It's the 50HX70, not the 50XH70. If some wonderful admin would like to make the edit for me, that would help future users making use of the search feature.

2. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Just had a thought about this today. I wonder how susceptable these TVs are to bad or dirty power? Although the TV is plugged into a pretty good surge protector, it's not going through a line conditioner. How likely is it that this could be the root of the problem?

- Mike

3. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I don't own a Toshiba, but they make great tv's. My first Panasonic HDTV was jinxed from the start. I had pretty much had a nightmare with the tv. After 18 months of endless repairs, Panasonic replaced the set at no cost to me. The replacement set is great. I haven't had any problems other than calibration issues, due to my fault. I will buy another Panasonic again, but I also swore that I would not buy a Panasonic again due to the bad set.

You might want to ask on what qualifies for an replacement.