What's new

Toshiba 50HX81 settings (1 Viewer)

Bill Baldauff

Auditioning
I recently purchased a Toshiba 50HX81 and I've read a lot in this forum about settings, such as color, brightness, tint, contrast & sharpness, but I'm not sure what the ideal settings are for this set. I know that they have preset options, but are any of these ideal? Any input would be helpful.

Craig

Second Unit
You can get the Avia or Video Essentials test discs that will help you set up your display. They also feature audio setup data too.

For a quick setup, start out in movie mode then adjust contrast, brightness and sharpness from there. I'd set sharpness no higher than 30, it doesn't seem to do anything useful on my 3 year old Toshiba widescreen and if cranked too high causes a grainy appearance.

I have my contrast set at 38 and brightness set at 46. A lot of people set contrast lower than that, but I found I lost detail in dark scenes.

You'll have to experiment with your setup to see what works for you. There's not a 'correct' setting that applies to every TV. However RPTVs do tend to loose picture quality rapidly if you crank contrast & brightness too high. That's why a lot the bigscreen display models in stores look so crappy. My Tosh came with contrast/brightenss/sharpness set to 100 and looked awful at first.

Philip____S

Stunt Coordinator
Before ISF calibration I set my brightness and contrast to 50, and left the other settings at 50. I also recommend turning off ALS, Flesh Tone, and DNR, setting Cinema Mode to Film and Color Temp to Warm. When changing brightness and contrast start with the Movie setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks