1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Toshiba 50HX81 and the Panasonic RP-91 what is the best viewing for them both?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grady Hollums, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

I just want to know what I need to do to get the best picture out of them both.
    1) What setting do I need for the Toshiba to be in?
    2) What zoom should the Panny be in?
    3) Is the progressive scan better with the Panny or the Toshiba?Do I need to plug the Panny into a certain component input area on the back to not have the TV do the progressive scan?
    4) Do anamaphoric(sp?) DVDs fill the screen all the way or do I need to adjust the zoom feature to fill the screen on the Panny?
    5)I really just want to fill the screen totally with no bars with no (visible) distortion to the picture. Is this possible? Do only certain DVDs have the ability to fill the picture? and other ones don't?
    One of the main reasons I bought the Panny is for the zoom feature and I was at the understanding that I could fill the entire screen with the movie.
    Thank you all for your help and assistance! I am just trying to figure out the best settings for both of these products so I can have the ultimate in picture from DVDs. Thank you again!!!
    BTW: Both of the products mentioned above are in the mail, so I do not have the ability to adjust them right now, but I would appreciate any help with menu terms and such. Thanks!!! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    In Him,
    GH
    My Home
    Theater

2. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Grady! Wow!
    Sounds like when you got the disease, you got it BAD!
    Anyway, some movies aren't going to fill up the whole screen. That's just the way it is. Turn off the lights and you'll not notice. What you want to do is use that Panny in progressive, and when the movie is anamorphic, choose the Full mode on the screen.
    If your Toshiba is like my TW65X81, you'll need to go into the menu and choose whether the component input (I think mine are called HD on the input menu) is for DVD or DTV.
    Enjoy!

3. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Hey, nice pics! Can't wait to see the updates.
    Is that JC on the couch?!

4. Grady Hollums

Yep sure is JC, and where do you live? I would love to see if we could get a KY or area HT meet sometime. emails me at:
    [email protected]
    sometime and let me know.
    Do you have the Panny RP91 and your Toshiba? I would really like to talk some more about them together. Thanks for the help!!!
    ------------------
    In Him,
    GH
    My Home
    Theater

5. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Grady, don't you remember me? We exchanged a few emails back when you were first joined the forum. I had a friend, Wade Arp, who was attending Asbury Seminary at the time. Now he's the preacher in London, KY. I'm in Harlan, and no, I don't have a Toshiba/Panasonic combo. I've got the older Toshiba 65-inch set and a Pioneer Elite DV-37. I'd love to be involved in a KY area club, and if you ever want to come down this way, just let me know.
    Stacy

6. Grady Hollums

Got ya now. I am sorry about not remembering you. I have done lots of studying lately and I think that it is starting to effect my memory. That is one reason that I am so excited about the new TV DVD, and I actually am also getting a Xbox to play HDTV games with 5.1 sound, heh.
    Yes, needless to say I am in even more debt for the next year, but my wife agreed to it and I gave up gifts for Birthday and Christmas for this and next year to pay for them, heh. I think it is worth it.
    Well, let me know when would be a good time next year for a meet and I will see what I can do about getting some local Lexington and Louisville HT stores to participate and maybe even get to rent a place out over a Sat. or something!
    Have a good week!
    ------------------
    In Him,
    GH
    My Home
    Theater

7. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Anytime. You let me know, and if it is at all possible, I'll be there.
    As for whether or not your hobby is worth it, let me ask you this -- do you enjoy it when you and your wife watch a movie together? I figure I know the answer. Yeah, it's worth it.