Toshiba 50HX81 and Sony 51HW40

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Yu, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Kevin Yu

Kevin Yu Auditioning

Hi,
    I was all set to get the Toshiba but now I see the Sony... there have been a lot of posts on the Toshiba but I haven't heard much about this new Sony.
    What do you guys know about the Sony? Is it considered better/worse than the HX?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thx,
    Kevin

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings
    Even after proper calibration, Sony units tend to exhibit poorer grayscale tracking from 20 ire to 100 ire than their Toshiba counterparts.
    Their images also tend to be softer than Toshiba sets ... even after proper calibration.
    They are nice units especially in the build quality department ... but slightly a step behind in the image.
    Note ... slightly behind does not mean bad ... it is still a very nice image.
    Regards
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

3. Kevin Yu

Kevin Yu Auditioning

I heard from my local dealer that Sony has made many improvements this year on their rear projectors such that the HW40 model is much better than last years. Does your comment (image being softer) apply to this years model as well?
    The other thing is that I noticed the Toshiba weights about 40lbs more than the Sony!!!
    Thx,
    Kevin

4. Ron S

Ron S Stunt Coordinator

Michael,
    Sorry for the off-topic message, really should have started my own thread on it, but didn't know if you would see it.
    This actually may apply to one of the two models in the subject, so might not be off-topic after all [​IMG]
    You seem to be very knowledgable about the details of many of the rptv's out there. Which set available in your opinion is the best one in both 16:9 and 4:3 formats?
    Used to think the Panasonic 56-wxf95 was great for 16:9, but seeing how old a model it is, I'm not so sure. Still need to make a basic decision for 16:9 vs. 4:3. Leaning towards 16:9, as I watch 50% dvd's. The burn in issue might be a problem, though, as I like to watch a fair amount of 4:3 programming, as does my wife and kids...
    Budget is an issue, within reason (~3k), and space is even more important. Have a tight corner to fit it around, on stairs to boot [​IMG]
    Any input would be greatly appreciated, of course. Thanks!
    Ron